Zac's Cacti

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
zpeckler

Re: Zac's Cacti

Post by zpeckler »

All right, the whole repotting is done! Every plant in my collection has been repotted into fresh medium. Just waiting for temps to creep a little higher before they get the first watering of the season!
Collection.jpg
Collection.jpg (193.19 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

Aside from the root mealies, there are things I could have done better that I think I have corrected. Obviously I changed up my growing medium pretty radically. It's a huge unknown, but I feel optimistic. My previous go-to substrate was 25% pumice, 50% turface, and 25% potting soil--I've since then had some really poor experiences with turface, and that much soil+turface compacted way too much, inhibiting drainage and retaining too much water. Now my new North American substrate is 3 parts pumice, 3 parts scoria, 3 parts bonsai block, and 1 part decomposed granite. I chose equal parts of the three main components as a starting place, and will adjust in the future as I gain more experience or theoretical knowledge. My new South American substrate is 2 parts pumice, 2 parts scoria, 2 parts bonsai block, and 1 part aged compost (about 15% organic). All the mineral ingredients are screened to ensure consistent particle size, and the compost was screened to remove pieces of bark over 1/8".

Next, my pot selection. Two years ago at my last repotting I went on a buying spree and changed all my plants from basic terracotta to glazed impermeable plots. Some of those pots were talavera terracotta that was glazed on the outside but not the inside, most were high-fired pots glazed on both the inside and out. With every new pot I saw way, way better root development compared to when the plants were in terracotta (as expected), but I still saw a fair amount of roots caking the bare inside of the talavera pots.

Cholla-roots.jpg
Cholla-roots.jpg (155.89 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Here are some Cylindropuntia biglovia roots from an uncoated talavera pot. You can see the flat surface of the roots where they were sticking to the bare terracotta. I had started sealing the inside of about half the talavera pots the last time I repotted, and the sealed pots functioned equivalently to the high-fired totally glazed pots. I went back and sealed all the talavera pots this year.

E-grusonii-pot.jpg
E-grusonii-pot.jpg (119.23 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
M-bombycinia-pot.jpg
M-bombycinia-pot.jpg (104.1 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
One other thing I did was repot a lot of my cacti into more bowl-shaped or otherwise shallower pots. You can see a Golden Barrel and M. bombycinia sitting in their current 12" wide shallow pots along with the pots they used to be in, which were way taller than they were wide. In most of the plants--even smaller ones--that were in this geometry I found that the substrate was still damp at the bottom even though they had not been watered since October! I had lost the roots of several plants to rot, but fortunately the rot hadn't made it to the bodies of the plants. I dusted everything with sulfur powder and left those plants unpotted for over a week to dry out and callous over.

So there we go... Lessons learned. Now just gotta sit back and wait for the spring flowers!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I do like the look of shallow pots. More even drying is a great bonus. :D One thing though is that some species can have pretty long tuberous roots, often longer than the depth of the bowl, so I am stuck with using taller pots.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

First buds are starting to develop! I'm about to leave for a family vacation in Sedona for a week and a half (hope to see some cactus flowers in the wild), so I'm afraid I'm gonna miss the M. senilis blooming. It's the first time the senilis and the F. macrodiscus have bloomed! They grow up so fast...
Ferocactus-macrodiscus.jpg
Ferocactus-macrodiscus.jpg (111.04 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Lobivia-leucomalla.jpg
Lobivia-leucomalla.jpg (164.45 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Mammillaria-senilis.jpg
Mammillaria-senilis.jpg (116.01 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Rebutia-marsoneri.jpg
Rebutia-marsoneri.jpg (129 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
Mammillaria-bombycinia.jpg
Mammillaria-bombycinia.jpg (163.05 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Spring flower picture dump!
Escobaria-emskoetteriana-flowers.jpg
Escobaria-emskoetteriana-flowers.jpg (124.12 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Lobivia-leucomalla-flowers.jpg
Lobivia-leucomalla-flowers.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mammillaria-bombycinia-flowers.jpg
Mammillaria-bombycinia-flowers.jpg (151.86 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mammillaria-gemnispina-flowers.jpg
Mammillaria-gemnispina-flowers.jpg (128.28 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mammillaria-hahnihana-flowers.jpg
Mammillaria-hahnihana-flowers.jpg (163.34 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mammillaria-parkinsonii-flowers.jpg
Mammillaria-parkinsonii-flowers.jpg (118.91 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mammillaria-senilis-flowers.jpg
Mammillaria-senilis-flowers.jpg (115.52 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Mammilloydia-candida-flowers.jpg
Mammilloydia-candida-flowers.jpg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Rebutia-marsoneri-flowers.jpg
Rebutia-marsoneri-flowers.jpg (128.2 KiB) Viewed 668 times
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Nice Mammillarias! Specially the bombycina, that's quite the specimen
Alejandro
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

A_G_R wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:31 pm Nice Mammillarias! Specially the bombycina, that's quite the specimen
Thanks man! It was literally the first cactus I bought back in 2016. It was only 2" wide and it's come a long way since then!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b