My drooping Madagascar Palm . . .

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Roger Tansey

My drooping Madagascar Palm . . .

Post by Roger Tansey »

What has happened to my Madagascar Palm? It’s drooped!

I’m in Palm Springs where it has been 110 to 116 for days. I hadn’t watered it for about two weeks. All my neighbors have them planted in the ground and theirs are doing fine - but mine’s in a pot.

I quickly watered it and tied it back up and I hope this helps. Could it be lack of water or some nutrient?

Thanks for any help.
zpeckler

Re: My drooping Madagascar Palm . . .

Post by zpeckler »

Take this with a grain of salt because I don't know anything about Madagascar Palms, but hearing about your conditions and the interval between waterings it certainly sounds like dehydration. Plants in pots will dehydrate a lot faster then the same pot in the ground.

But like I said, grain of salt. I had to Google Madagascar Palm to see what it was. Let's see what people more familiar with the species have to say.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Well, I don't know anything about Palms as well. But, your neighbors have their palms in the ground where the roots are a little cooler (or maybe much cooler) than yours in a pot. That could affect the water retained in your pot.

You don't say anything about your potting soil, watering practices, sun exposure, etc.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Roger Tansey

Post by Roger Tansey »

Soul is commercial succulent soil to which I add sand and perlite. Morning sun only because it’s fresh out of a greenhouse. I suspect it’s the lack of water or heat.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I just Googled your plant and discovered its not a palm at all. I told you I knew nothing. Its a Pachypodium lamerei https://www.thespruce.com/growing-madag ... ms-5112648

This article says the plant can take your heat and at those temps it can benefit from some shade, otherwise it does better in full sun. Its the cold they can't take. It can take full sun after you get it used to it since you say it just came out of a greenhouse.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

I have only one ‘Madagaskar’ potted in a clay pot, on my windowsill. So my experience is probably not much worth for you, since our plants live under very different conditions. I live in northern Europe and the max temperature is about 30 degrees celsius for some days. Even so the plant is rather thirsty and quickly shows sign of distress if it doesn’t get enough water. ( droopy leaves).

What colour is your pot? If the pot is dark, the roots could be cooked, as it can get very warm in a dark pot, if the pot is placed in the sun.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Are we talking about a Pachypodium lamerei here, is that your Madagascar palm, or do you have a 'real' palm?

What is droopy in this case? The leaves just bending down a bit, or are they turning brown? A Pachypodium sheds its leaves when it gets dormant / does not get water anymore. A normal thing to happen, nothing to worry. But when in active growth or when it should be, it might be lacking enough water. When in active growth, they don't mind a big splash water often, as more leafy succulents like.

(A photo would help here...)