Astrophytum asterias seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
doncoqui

Astrophytum asterias seedlings

Post by doncoqui »

Hello everyone. First post here. Long time horticulturist taking my first steps growing cactus from seed. These asterias seedlings are three months old. Sowed them in 50/50 mix of pumice and sieved cactus soil that was cooked for three minutes in the microwave. Got close to 100% germination. Kept them in a bag for about a month and then started taking them out to give them some air. Some were getting etiolated while in the bag so I moved them to a brighter spot. They’re currently in a south facing bright spot on the porch, but not in direct sunlight. Daytime temps in the mid 80s to low 90s for the last month (28-33C), mid 60s at night (17-18C). I keep them uncovered during the day and put a lid on at night. They get sprayed daily with bottled water. I’ve bottom watered them twice with a diluted fungicide solution. Very few of them remain bright green. Are they getting too much light? Should I keep them covered? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2023-08-22-181408.jpeg
IMG_2023-08-22-181408.jpeg (292.11 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
IMG_2023-08-22-181524.jpeg
IMG_2023-08-22-181524.jpeg (308.45 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Tom in Tucson

Re: Astrophytum asterias seedlings

Post by Tom in Tucson »

They're fine. You obviously have either grown other cacti from seed, or have conducted extensive searches for the best methods to germinate cacti.

BTW, your comments about the weather leads me to believe you live in an inland location in SD. The high at your airport yesterday was 78.
doncoqui

Post by doncoqui »

Thanks Tom. I’ll keep caring for them the same then. I’ve only lost two so far. The San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society is a great resource. Many growers and enthusiasts share their knowledge freely.

Yes, I’m a few miles inland in the suburbs. You can count on it being 10F degrees warmer than by the ocean/bay on regular summer days.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

How deep is that pot they are in? It looks kind of shallow from what I can see. I put new seedlings in pots a couple inches deep for the most part,and bottom water them. And all the astrophytum I have grown so far,have put down deep roots (probably because I bottom water).
But the point i an trying to make is IF it is shallow it's harder for the water to drain off,and astros don't like wet feet.
doncoqui

Post by doncoqui »

Fred, they’re in a deep pot with a healthy amount of pumice.
Attachments
IMG_1697.jpeg
IMG_1697.jpeg (147.13 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

doncoqui wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:11 pm Thanks Tom. I’ll keep caring for them the same then. I’ve only lost two so far. The San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society is a great resource. Many growers and enthusiasts share their knowledge freely.

Yes, I’m a few miles inland in the suburbs. You can count on it being 10F degrees warmer than by the ocean/bay on regular summer days.
I lived in SD for many years. The last place I lived (before moving here) was in the San Carlos region (near Santee). The various micro-climates there surprise people from the eastern US.

I was a member of the SD club for 12 yrs. I was a librarian, an annual sales director, and a board member (nice place and people). While a librarian, I used to get help from Kelly Griffen to get journals from several countries bound for circulation. They have the best library of any club I've seen.

Good luck building up your seedling collection. It's my favorite part of this hobby.
doncoqui

Post by doncoqui »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 pm I lived in SD for many years. The last place I lived (before moving here) was in the San Carlos region (near Santee). The various micro-climates there surprise people from the eastern US.

I was a member of the SD club for 12 yrs. I was a librarian, an annual sales director, and a board member (nice place and people). While a librarian, I used to get help from Kelly Griffen to get journals from several countries bound for circulation. They have the best library of any club I've seen.

Good luck building up your seedling collection. It's my favorite part of this hobby.
Small world, I’m the new SDCSS librarian! We do have a solid library. Kelly is still around and coordinates the monthly meeting visiting speaker. We have a great group of people.

If I sow any more seed I’m going to need a greenhouse, which could get troublesome as I live in an HOA community. Hahaha!
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

doncoqui wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:34 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 pm I lived in SD for many years. The last place I lived (before moving here) was in the San Carlos region (near Santee). The various micro-climates there surprise people from the eastern US.

Small world, I’m the new SDCSS librarian! We do have a solid library. Kelly is still around and coordinates the monthly meeting visiting speaker. We have a great group of people.

If I sow any more seed I’m going to need a greenhouse, which could get troublesome as I live in an HOA community. Hahaha!
I'll start off by saying I now live under the dictates of my HOA. This group of megalomaniacs has gone from "from the sublime to the ridiculous" in my neighborhood. "Don't get me started" I'm- pretty sure that with a (city or county) building permit you can override their dictates (according to CA law) - I know, totally OT.

AFA the library is concerned, AFAIK their archive collection (if they haven't sold it off, as the board I was on threatened to do) is one of the best in the world. The only one I've seen that even comes close, is the incredible one at the Desert Botanical Garden (Tempe, AZ), but the CACSS only has limited access.

Does your cactiguide profile include your current region (city or county)?
doncoqui

Post by doncoqui »

I’ll have to check the local code for greenhouses. Our HOA is tolerable right now. A few years ago I ran to be on the board because things were getting ridiculous as you say. Did two years and got out while I still had my sanity. Tried to be the voice of reason and was often successful.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning donqcoui,
Very few of them remain bright green. Are they getting too much light?
Members of this forum live in different places under various climates and environments.
My place is very hot-dry summer and modelate-wet winter where is equivalent USA zone 10b.

Asterias seedlings grow from spring to autumn but they stop growing in hot summer if sunlight was too strong.
Seedlings turn body colour to brownish purple and stop growing.

To maximize the growing period, I cover them by shadecloth and keep them as "green".

I attached a photo for your information.
Seedlings grew continuously from spring to autumn with this body colour in my case.

Frank
Attachments
Asterias seedlings
Asterias seedlings
DSC_0961.JPG (169.84 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
doncoqui

Post by doncoqui »

Those look very healthy.