Coryphantha elephantidens inermis - is it sick?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
wamilton

Coryphantha elephantidens inermis - is it sick?

Post by wamilton »

I ordered a graft for the first time and it came mostly healthy, but I noticed it has a ton of orange spots, not sure if that is rust or just bad in any sense...

Also from the second picture, you can see it has yellowish blotches under the skin, it looks like variegation, but I haven't heard of this specific cultivar being variegated before, does anyone know if that is normal?

greenknight

Re: Coryphantha elephantidens inermis - is it sick?

Post by greenknight »

I suspect the orange marks are just scars, some species produce that kind of pigment in response to surface damage. Don't know about the blotchyness.
Spence :mrgreen:
wamilton

Post by wamilton »

Interesting, that's a lot of scars, you think insects did that over a period of time then?
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

If plant arrived from SE Asia there's possibility of light fungus infection, it's common there in climate with high humidity. The plant was sprayed with fungicids (copper).
Light blotches may occur when plant is moved from artificial to sun light, usually its not permanent. Give it normal care and time will shows. Nothing dangerous IMHO. This species is bullet proof, grows on own roots perfectly.
Last edited by anttisepp on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wamilton

Post by wamilton »

Thanks! Yes it is from SE Asia. I noticed the blue stuff and was wondering about that too, should I at least try to wash the copper off?

Do you recommend I degraft it now as well? They didn't give much dragonfruit root stock (3-4 inches) and the scion is like 3x the rootstock size
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

No need to go to bath now, it still protects your precious :wink:
I'd cut later / next year and leave a pair of cm on stock to receive additional pups. Usually it roots very easily.
Are you in US or EU?
wamilton

Post by wamilton »

Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. I am in US, but growing it indoors with LEDs