From Madrid Botanical Garden -> Miqueliopuntia miquelii

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jfdocampo

From Madrid Botanical Garden -> Miqueliopuntia miquelii

Post by jfdocampo »

Tephrocactus? I think the tag is from another missing plant.
PXL_20230809_102549442 (prov. cf. Tephrocactus sp. (Tephrocacteae) (Opuntioideae) (Cactaceae) (nknown))_resize.jpg
PXL_20230809_102549442 (prov. cf. Tephrocactus sp. (Tephrocacteae) (Opuntioideae) (Cactaceae) (nknown))_resize.jpg (190.97 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
PXL_20230809_102554007_resize.jpg
PXL_20230809_102554007_resize.jpg (190.71 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Madrid Botanical Garden, 8/08/23

Regards,
Last edited by jfdocampo on Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrXeric

Re: From Madrid Botanical Garden

Post by MrXeric »

From what I can make out of the label, it looks correct. Just that the genus name is outdated and the species name is partially obscured. Its current name is Miqueliopuntia miquelli.
jfdocampo

Post by jfdocampo »

Ok. I was looking for in "Plants Of The World Online", and the only species of Opuntia beginning with 'mi' were Opuntia microdasys and Opuntia militaris. It seems that in the list of the species they don't show the synonims.

Thank you.
Lucy_V

Re: From Madrid Botanical Garden -> Miqueliopuntia miquelii

Post by Lucy_V »

You could not find it under Opuntia species because even being an Opuntioid, it is not Opuntia per se. the correct name as MrXeric mentioned is Miqueliopuntia miquelii. "Miqueliopuntia is a monotypic, genus of cactus in the Cactaceae family, containing a single species, Miqueliopuntia miquelii (Monv.) F.Ritter., which is native to the Chilean coasts of South America" (from Wikipedia).
jfdocampo

Post by jfdocampo »

Very instructive explanation. Thank you Lucy.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

jfdocampo wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:31 pm Ok. I was looking for in "Plants Of The World Online", and the only species of Opuntia beginning with 'mi' were Opuntia microdasys and Opuntia militaris. It seems that in the list of the species they don't show the synonims.

Thank you.
Yeah, Kew's POWO doesn't let you scroll down their list of possible matches and you would have needed to type in at least 'miq' to have O. miquellii show up. I like to use the caryophyllales.org website's Cactaceae checklist for synonyms. You can use their search function to find possible matches for incomplete names if you use the * symbol as a wildcard character. For example, if you type opuntia mi* in the search box you get these results. Names in grayscale mean they are synonyms for another, accepted name. Scrolling down and clicking on Opuntia miquellii will take you to the page with the current accepted name, as well as a list of known synonyms (including authors, publication titles and their dates).
jfdocampo

Post by jfdocampo »

Good to know it. I'll take a look. Thank you again MrXeric.