Sterilize Cactus soil

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jerrytheplater

Re: Sterilize Cactus soil

Post by jerrytheplater »

Steve, is there anyway to mark a post unread so I can come back later?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:51 pm Steve, is there anyway to mark a post unread so I can come back later?
Unfortunately, no -- the forum isn't set up for it. And of course that's how important information gets either lost or buried as we spend seemingly endless amounts of time doing advanced searches. The only workaround I could find is to archive posts on your computer. That's easy:
  • If you already have a folder for cactus-related files, you're good to go. If not, set one up. I'm uber-organized on my computer, and I found that it really helps to have descriptive subfolders. If you don't want to go that far, a folder called "Cactus cultivation" will suffice.
  • Using your mouse, left-click and hold down the button to highlight the text of the post you want to archive. Copy it (Ctrl+C).
  • Paste it into a text editor (Editpad, Notepad, etc.).
  • Save it to your cactus-related folder with a file name that describes the subject of the post.
You can also append the file name with the date of the post in case you need that bit 'o info. With important posts archived on your computer, you won't have to rely on the forum to find them again. Believe me, this is a real time-saver!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Much quicker just to bookmark the post you want to come back to.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Steve and Spence: Thanks to both of you. Both ideas I've done many times, but didn't think of doing it here.

Steve, I usually make a Word Doc and I'll paste a link to the source at the top to go back later.

Spence, I have an extensive Bookmarks tab all categorized, alphabetized, systemized in Officer Obie fashion. Never thought of bookmarking something for a temporary use. Good idea.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:59 pm Espoma sells a wide range of organic products. I bought their cactus fertilizer solely for the added microorganisms. Various soil bacteria and soil fungi. These are naturally found in our soils. What is found in the desert remains to be seen. I wish I knew.

Fungus gnats: open the bag and let it dry out. Or you could water with a solution made from the mosquito bits sold in big box stores. That is a variety of Bacillus thuringiensis that will kill the fungus gnat larvae.
Will the mosquitoe bits, affect cactuses?
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

MikeInOz wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:40 pm The best way to treat the media is to solarize it. If you are still getting hot sunny days, put the mix into a clear plastic bag and lay it on it's side in full sun. Try to flatten it out to make it about 4 inches deep and fold over the opening of the bag to hold in the heat. The mix must be moist but not very wet. On a really hot day it will heat up to at least 60 or more degrees (hot to the touch) This will kill of all insects and their eggs (very quickly) and most pathogens but will not harm beneficial microbes as long as it does not get too hot. The cooler and cloudier the weather, the longer you need to leave it. You can then use it with confidence after that as soon as it cools off (providing the quality is good to begin with). Be careful if the mix contains controlled release fertilizers because they will quickly release their contents if the temp in the bag gets really high.
Thank you! How long do I leave out for?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

darth1211 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:09 am
Last time I did it the outside temp was about 30 degrees C and after about 4 hours the mix was too hot to handle. When it gets to that temperature you can be absolutely sue there will be no living insects of any kind left. Some weed seeds still make it through unharmed. You need to make sure the temperature is evenly distributed throughout the mix so turning it over or mixing it would help.
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

MikeInOz wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:46 am
darth1211 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:09 am
Last time I did it the outside temp was about 30 degrees C and after about 4 hours the mix was too hot to handle. When it gets to that temperature you can be absolutely sue there will be no living insects of any kind left. Some weed seeds still make it through unharmed. You need to make sure the temperature is evenly distributed throughout the mix so turning it over or mixing it would help.
Thanks! I have 1 day that's going to be 28 degrees C sunny, and after that it'll be 27 degrees C and cloudy
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

darth1211 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:05 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:59 pm Espoma sells a wide range of organic products. I bought their cactus fertilizer solely for the added microorganisms. Various soil bacteria and soil fungi. These are naturally found in our soils. What is found in the desert remains to be seen. I wish I knew.

Fungus gnats: open the bag and let it dry out. Or you could water with a solution made from the mosquito bits sold in big box stores. That is a variety of Bacillus thuringiensis that will kill the fungus gnat larvae.
Not at all. You soak the bits in water and then use that water to water your plants. The bacteria in the bits get into the water and then kill the gnats.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:30 pm

Not at all. You soak the bits in water and then use that water to water your plants. The bacteria in the bits get into the water and then kill the gnats.
Thank you very much! Do you have a link to the ones you use?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

darth1211 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:41 am
I bought them years ago. Here is the manufacturer's site: https://summitchemical.com/using-mosqui ... gus-gnats/
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:18 pm
darth1211 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:41 am
I bought them years ago. Here is the manufacturer's site: https://summitchemical.com/using-mosqui ... gus-gnats/
Thank you!
darth1211

Post by darth1211 »

I baked the soil in 2 plastic bags out in the sun. Saw 0 fungus gnats fly out! The soil was steaming hot, so there's no way anything survived. Thank you MikeInOz!