Loph. williamsi- questions

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Loph. williamsi- questions

Post by Mrs.Green »

A vendor in Norway have L.williamsi for sale and I am tempted to buy one. But.. I have never had Loph’s before and the plants seems to be very small, only about 1,5 cm - 2 cm. in diameter. It’s late in the year, the growing season is over here. Would it be better to wait until next year, spring/summer ? Since I have no experience with the genus , I am a bit hesitant. The small size of the plants make me question their chance for survival in a less than ‘familiar’ climate.
jerrytheplater

Re: Loph. williamsi- questions

Post by jerrytheplater »

I'd buy it now and let it go dormant. Your plants are a good size. You don't know if they will be available next year.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:42 pm I'd buy it now and let it go dormant. Your plants are a good size. You don't know if they will be available next year.
Thank you Jerrytheplater 🙂 True, I don’t know if it will be available next year but its the small size and dormancy ( which will last about 6 months here) I am worried about. They seems to be potted in pure organic mix.
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

Hi, Mrs. Green,

I too would buy it now, before it gets later in the season, while they are available. I have LW's from seed this size right now; the adult characteristics are beginning to form and show at 16 months. Last year they didn't exhibit signs of dormancy due to their young age, and I continued growing them into this season of summer and growth. They're very strong and hardy, even at this size.

The concern you identify is the transplantation from an organic mix, whether to let them try dormancy, and how to coddle them through the winter. Personally, I would buy a couple or several and transplant them immediately into a mix of light organic/primarily mineral mix. The question is this: is there any chance of a place in your environment that is bright/light sun, warm, and promoting growth? If so, I'm not sure I would consider dormancy so much as continue the growing conditions if you can duplicate them, applying light water and minimal fertilizers (if any) until next spring/summer. I think the goal would be to maintain their current health until next spring. Buying more than one will minimize your loss in the event one doesn't make it. I offer you one or more of mine next summer, but shipping and so on would be very stressful on a young loph. They will be larger than they are now, but, hey--it's an offer. I have nine at 16 months, and I'll have another 6-7 at 12 months then.

Let's see what other ideas and views come up, but don't miss the opportunity. Decide soon, for your sake, before they're no longer available. Their hardy, cute little guys even now, and I love them. I'm certain you would also. Beautiful, delightful, simple, easy to care for. I don't think you'll regret getting a baby loph.

Bret
keith

Post by keith »

They seems to be potted in pure organic mix." I don't like that . Almost none of my cactus are in a organic mix.
Norway Maybe a grow light ?
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hello Mrs.Green,
just hope I am not too late. Didn't see your post before. I also encourage you to take the chance. If you can afford it, I would take two. They are so very nice to live with! And at least at my place they are quite uncomplicated.

I would give them a purely anorganic soil, like pumice or so.
As they have taproots, a very deep pot might be a good idea.
When they arrive, let them stay inside on a windowsill or such until October. Then let them go into dormancy. I simply put them onto a light place in a cool room & stop watering.
When March arrives, start to water them again.
When the nights are warm enough, put them outside in a light, sunny place, not too hot (not over 33°C or such, if you have that far in the North).

My old one somehow stopped flowering. Since a 2nd one sits next to him & flowers away, the old one is doing so, too. When children play together, they often mimick each other. :lol:

Sooo... Good luck to you.
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Just remembered that pumice might be hard to get at your place.
I also use this here called "Grus", which is a rough mixture of small pebbles. I buy this one: https://www.graf-baustoffe.de/shop_item ... emId=12933
Here you find something about the content, it's volcanic: https://www.theis-produktion.de/produkte/bilaton.html
Maybe something similar is available at your's...? 8-[ That might help with other plants, too. For some Euphorbias & a couple of cacti I use that medium purely.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.