Stesonia coryne: this is no sunburn -- ALARM! HELP please!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
nachtkrabb

Stesonia coryne: this is no sunburn -- ALARM! HELP please!

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi everybody,
some time ago, I noticed strange colourings at my Stesonia coryne. It is about 70cm / 28in tall, next to 24 years at my place, came as a baby in a 5cm-/2in-pot. During summer, the plant stays on the Western balcony with sun beginning early afternoon until sunset. In winter is indoors close to a west-facing window.

I just never managed to write. Today I noticed a gap next to 20cm / 8in long! So I am raising the alarm. Has anybody an idea what is going on here?
Has anybody an idea what I could do? Is this alarming as I think, or is it just ... age or whatever...?
Thanks,
Nachtkrabb ](*,) :cry:
Western side of the whole plant
Western side of the whole plant
IMG_1933_StetsoniaCoryne.jpg (157.19 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Western side of the plant: not sunburns?
IMG_1938_StetsoniaCoryne.jpg (128.44 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
IMG_1939_StetsoniaCoryne.jpg (123.04 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
the new gap on Northern side, so no sunburn
the new gap on Northern side, so no sunburn
IMG_2425_StetsoniaCoryne.jpg (144.52 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Western side of the plant: old, not alarming, possibly sunburn
Western side of the plant: old, not alarming, possibly sunburn
IMG_1940_StetsoniaCoryne.jpg (120.46 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
zpeckler

Re: Stesonia coryne: this is no sunburn -- ALARM! HELP please!

Post by zpeckler »

The long split down the main stem could be from overwatering. The ones at the apices could be sunburn considering they're on the most sun-exposed parts on the western side of the plant.

Are any of the areas soft and mushy? From the pics they look like they're callused over.

How often are you watering it?

What kind of growing medium is the plant in?

And lastly, where are you located and what's the climate like there at the moment. You mentioned summer so I'm presuming you're in the northern hemisphere.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

zpeckler wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:24 pmAnd lastly, where are you located and what's the climate like there at the moment. You mentioned summer so I'm presuming you're in the northern hemisphere.
Look under nachtkrabb's avatar.

Damage around the growth points could be sunscorch, although I have to wonder why it would be happening on only 2 heads, not all 5. Ruth, your mix is way too soil-heavy for the Stetsonia. While most cactus species are remarkably tolerant of not-so-good growing practices, those practices will eventually take a toll on the plant. I recommend that you lean your mix out a lot with mineral gravel. From your photos, I can't tell if you're using pumice or perlite (looks like perlite?), but either mineral will be fine. 3 parts mineral gravel, 1 part soil for your mix, although you might want to go even leaner with a 4-1 mix. I'd also like to investigate your fertilizer, so please let me know about the following:
  • Its percentages of N, P, and K.
  • Form -- is it liquid concentrate, dry/granulated (water soluble), or slow-release?
  • If you dilute your fert in water, what's your dilution rate?
  • How often do you fertilize?
Potting medium and fertilizer problems often go hand-in-hand, so knowing more about your fert will be helpful. By the way -- you do have a fellow forum member living in Germany, and you can see his work here:

viewtopic.php?t=29724&start=4770

If you send a PM to K.W., I'm sure his advice will be a lot better than mine since it'll be coming from a local grower with many years of good experience. By the way, I just posted a "heads up" about this on his Member Blogs thread.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
7george

Post by 7george »

The plant is still outdoors, so it might start from a sunburn and after add an infection. September lowering sun can be mean. The crack is a different thing.

A healthy plant can block that surface damage and continue existence. Just keep it drier.

Climate is changing and plants straggle to adapt as we do.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:02 pm Look under nachtkrabb's avatar.
Oh geeze, yeah there it is. The mobile site doesn't display the info under the avatar. I had to turn on desktop mode to see it. 🤦🏻‍♂️
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

zpeckler wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:02 pm Look under nachtkrabb's avatar.
Oh geeze, yeah there it is. The mobile site doesn't display the info under the avatar. I had to turn on desktop mode to see it. 🤦🏻‍♂️
See this...

viewtopic.php?t=43819

...and you'll know why I recommend that members include location info in their signatures. Unfortunately that train left the station long after Ruth joined the forum in 2006.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:02 pm >>>
<<<

viewtopic.php?t=29724&start=4770

If you send a PM to K.W., I'm sure his advice will be a lot better than mine since it'll be coming from a local grower with many years of good experience. By the way, I just posted a "heads up" about this on his Member Blogs thread.
7george » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:20 am
The plant is still outdoors, so it might start from a sunburn and after add an infection. September lowering sun can be mean. The crack is a different thing.

A healthy plant can block that surface damage and continue existence. Just keep it drier.

Climate is changing and plants straggle to adapt as we do.
I agree with George.

Best wishes
K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

K.W. wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:16 pmI agree with George.

Best wishes
K.W.
Hi K.W.,

Do you have any recommendations on potting medium and fertilizer for nachtkrabb? Any recommendations I make for her are based on my growing practices in Los Angeles, and since local conditions rule, I think your advice would be more helpful to her.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

As usual ("going against the grain"). I'm going to recommend a little surgery. I've seen a similar appearance caused by rot progressing up the vascular tissue bundles, while the healthy tissue maintains the fair;y overall health of the cactus. An incision at where the discoloration starts nearest the base may confirm my suspicion. Fungus may find these gaping wounds to their liking, causing the color at the split areas.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...oh gosh... #-o My answer got deleted just when I wanted to send it... Ok, once more. Nicht zur Strafe, nur zur Übung ("no punishment, just training").

First things first: Thank you all for caring & answering. I am very happy. :D

About watering & fertilizing:
The plants are moved out of the house in middle of May / beginning of June (depending on cold nights) & returned indoors somehow in autumn (dito depending on cold nights). During that time I water them only if absolutely necessary. Outdoors they do not have saucers so that rain can get out of the holes in the bottom of the pot. We have a lot of wind drying the soil, too.
So no, I didn't overwater it. Yes, we had a quite wet fortnight. But that is just usual, the plants know that. Does it look too plump? (Not to me at least...?)
As this year is a bad one for me, the plant will not have had any fertilizer at all. But it got new soil, so that will be fine.

About soil:
The plant was repotted the last time in summer 2009 and was highly overdue. Just the last four years I didn't have anybody to ask for help. This summer I somehow managed miraculously. I had to, as the plant didn't grow that much last year.
* Old soil, as far as I remember from the repotting & according to my long gone base of knowledge: earth with sand & small pebbles.
* New soil mixed after reading up everything I found about Stesonia care: about 2/3 "Grus" & pumice, more Grus than pumice, and about 1/3 earth.
"Grus" is a rough mixture of small pebbles; I used this one: https://www.graf-baustoffe.de/shop_item ... emId=12933
Obviously the plant liked its new space for the roots plus the soil as it started to grow pretty soon.
As it is just freshly repotted, I am quite sure that it will not want to go through that just again. I can't imagine that will do it much good. :(

About climate:
Yes, we all struggle with the changing climate. We live in Stuttgart in the South-West of Germany. The last summers have become hotter & hotter. Usually we had 25° to 28°C (77 to 82F) as "hot summer", now 35° to 40°C (95 to 104F) is quite normal. It has become a lot dryer, the wind often feels like the blowing of a hair dryer. Depending on the year, there are more or fewer sudden disruptions of VERY wet phases when I think, the cacti grow webbing between their roots. Interestingly I never had any problems with the water. The soil is well draining.
Last month somebody said that the meteorologists claim that in 20 years we will have Mediterranean climate here. In my humble opinion during summer we already have that.
This year, June & July had been very hot & dry. In August the summer was mostly switched off with loads of water, also cooler with about 25°C / 77F. September was toggeling between the two extremes.
But, as I said: The plants should have gotten used to that, especially that Stesonia with 23 years of experience.

About touch & sun:
None of the areas is soft and mushy. Then I would have given up. I am glad that you seem to think more about sunburn, too. Interestingly, the one that got it worst is the one closest to the house, ie the most sheltered. Besides, there is nothing on the southern side of the plant -- this is what made me suspicious.
7george wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:20 am A healthy plant can block that surface damage and continue existence.
That's what I do hope, too... But the only way to keep it dryer would be to give it a raincoat, meaning a kind of foil that would fend the water off the soil. That would mean that the soil would not be too well aired & that moisture can't be dried off by the wind. I feel scared away from that.
Or shall I get the plant indoors -- after it had gone outside only by the end of May? That would take away about a month of "summer resort" from it. (Moving it in & out & in & out is literally quite a heavy task for me.)
According to the forecast, we face some more rainy days.

I admit, I am insecure about what to do. I grow cacti successfully & with loads of flowers since over 45 years, but this is a tough one.
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:58 pm As usual ("going against the grain"). I'm going to recommend a little surgery. I've seen a similar appearance caused by rot progressing up the vascular tissue bundles, while the healthy tissue maintains the fair;y overall health of the cactus. An incision at where the discoloration starts nearest the base may confirm my suspicion. Fungus may find these gaping wounds to their liking, causing the color at the split areas.
Hello Tom, I find yours after writing my last reply. Unfortunately, I do not understand the whole.
I understand, there might be rot inside the plant. Would you
a) cut off the brown stuff at the "arms" of the cactus (which is not at the base), or
b) cut off the rims of the gap in the trunk, widening the gap?
Would you just do a small cut to find something out or do a big operation "at the open heart"?

Please help me understand you. This sounds just like the direction where my fears lie.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...another drastic idea would be to cut off the side arms that look healthy & try to get them rooted...
what about that...?
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:44 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:58 pm As usual ("going against the grain"). I'm going to recommend a little surgery. I've seen a similar appearance caused by rot progressing up the vascular tissue bundles, while the healthy tissue maintains the fair;y overall health of the cactus. An incision at where the discoloration starts nearest the base may confirm my suspicion. Fungus may find these gaping wounds to their liking, causing the color at the split areas.
Hello Tom, I find yours after writing my last reply. Unfortunately, I do not understand the whole.
I understand, there might be rot inside the plant. Would you
a) cut off the brown stuff at the "arms" of the cactus (which is not at the base), or
b) cut off the rims of the gap in the trunk, widening the gap?
Would you just do a small cut to find something out or do a big operation "at the open heart"?

Please help me understand you. This sounds just like the direction where my fears lie.
N.
If this cactus were mine, I would cut a small rectangular section (1/2"-3/4") out about 1"-2" above the soil with a very sharp knife (or better still a scalpel) where the infection may have began. After your inspection, the treatment can better be determined.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:15 am If this cactus were mine, I would cut a small rectangular section (1/2"-3/4") out about 1"-2" above the soil with a very sharp knife (or better still a scalpel) where the infection may have began. After your inspection, the treatment can better be determined.
Sounds quite brutal. But I will try -- tomorrow. :-k This is going to be hard on me.
N. :(
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:31 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:15 am If this cactus were mine, I would cut a small rectangular section (1/2"-3/4") out about 1"-2" above the soil with a very sharp knife (or better still a scalpel) where the infection may have began. After your inspection, the treatment can better be determined.
Sounds quite brutal. But I will try -- tomorrow. :-k This is going to be hard on me.
N. :(
You are not obligated to perform this procedure. BTW, I don't think I suggested the incision point, other than the distance above the soil. I would cut into the area just below the largest area that's deformed. Best of luck, and remember there is very little evidence of any plant trauma.