Graptopetalum... who?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nachtkrabb

Graptopetalum... who?

Post by nachtkrabb »

Here comes another one. I have that plant since 17 years, but was always content with "some Grapto-hybrid".
But on rethinking, I am not so sure. I took two leaves with me broken off by some very small child in a botanical garden. I just forgot to note down the name. #-o

Honestly, I do not think a big & wellknown botanical garden will have just "some Grapto-hybrid". IMHO they have either true species & subspecies, or wellknown hybrids. This is why I started my research. Please have a look at them: I thought they might be a Graptopetalum 'Mirinae', a wellknown hybrid although of unknown origin.

They live outside all through the summer in full sun on the western balcony, so they are a bit tinted at this time of the year. As they prefer colder / non-freezing winters than I can offer, they haven't flowered at my place yet. I think in my mother's coldhouse they had yellow flowers, but I am not too sure.

What do you think?
Thank you,
Nachtkrabb
IMG_2474_Grapto.jpg
IMG_2474_Grapto.jpg (149.46 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Re: Graptopetalum... who?

Post by Tom in Tucson »

A wild guess: xGraptophytum 'Amphitryon' Graptopetalum amethystinum x Pachyphytum glutinicaule.

Any floral pics would help a lot.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Tom,
floral pics are exactly what I am missing. Just a fortnight ago I have planted some cutlings into an extra pot so that I can leave one of the two outside during winter. At least the Mirinae should be able to cope with that when kept close to the house.
I expect the winters in my house in the coolest room are still too warm for the plant to flower. Of my Graptopetalum paraguayense I now have two versions: One spending the winter outside, looking so-so but flowering, the other one spending the winter inside, looking great but not flowering. :lol:

I have found only a couple of pictures of xGraptophytum 'Amphitryon' plus no "care manual". Looks very good. Might be a good match.
Do you know more about Amphitryon? Please share, if so.

Thank you very much,
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:07 pm Hallo Tom,
floral pics are exactly what I am missing. Just a fortnight ago I have planted some cutlings into an extra pot so that I can leave one of the two outside during winter. At least the Mirinae should be able to cope with that when kept close to the house.
I expect the winters in my house in the coolest room are still too warm for the plant to flower. Of my Graptopetalum paraguayense I now have two versions: One spending the winter outside, looking so-so but flowering, the other one spending the winter inside, looking great but not flowering. :lol:

I have found only a couple of pictures of xGraptophytum 'Amphitryon' plus no "care manual". Looks very good. Might be a good match.
Do you know more about Amphitryon? Please share, if so.

Thank you very much,
Nachtkrabb
Sorry, I can't help you with that hybrid. If I were you, I would separate the younger branches, and the healthier looking full size rosettes from the cluster. You could then try the more expendable culls outdoors, and keep the best indoors through the winter. This might help you to ID it as well, since we know that the genus Graptopetalum is typically cold hardy.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:28 pm Sorry, I can't help you with that hybrid. If I were you, I would separate the younger branches, and the healthier looking full size rosettes from the cluster. You could then try the more expendable culls outdoors, and keep the best indoors through the winter. This might help you to ID it as well, since we know that the genus Graptopetalum is typically cold hardy.
...this is exactly what I wanted to do. Only I am starting a bit late in the year, so I am not sure if my "expendable plants" will have roots enough to survive when it's cold outside. Well... Maybe next winter...
Or I could place the expendables in the unheated garage where I plan to put at least one Epi for the winter as a trial. That wouldn't be that hard, but cool enough to produce flowers -- IF they survive. #-o
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

https://www.plantegrassefrontignan.fr/p ... tryon.html write about xGraptophytum 'Amphitryon':
Feuille: grise couverte d'une pruine bleutée, allongée (6 cm environ), arrondie à son extremité, legerement applatie sur sa face superieure, plus arrondie dessous, glabre.
Tige: peu épaisse (1,5 cm), rigide et érigée, elle supporte des ramifications.
Leaf: grey with a bluish bloom, elongated (about 6 cm), rounded at the tip, slightly flattened on the upper side, more rounded underneath, hairless.
Stem: thin (1.5 cm), rigid and erect, branching.
The leaves of my plant are about 2 or 3cm long, ie. about 1in, nothing like 6cm, ie. well 2in.
The stems are more or less half a cm thick, 1/5in, not 1.5 cm or next to 1/2 in.
Sooooo..... My plant might by an Amphitryon washed too hot. :?
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.