Flowers drying out before they bloom

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CaraR

Flowers drying out before they bloom

Post by CaraR »

My cacti normally produce gorgeous red orange blooms, but in the last 6 months the flowers dry out and turn brown before they bloom. I don’t currently have a before photo but I’ll post the after. The begin to form in a beautiful red orange color as the new paddles grow but then before they begins to open and form the delicate petals they just dry up! I’m somewhat new to cacti gardening. Would so appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Attachments
79199640-019D-438F-B8B6-AA80EB285954.jpeg
79199640-019D-438F-B8B6-AA80EB285954.jpeg (169.06 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
3E3A29D8-8890-4C2F-8B8A-182E58D3162F.jpeg
3E3A29D8-8890-4C2F-8B8A-182E58D3162F.jpeg (183.01 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
A_G_R

Re: Flowers drying out before they bloom

Post by A_G_R »

Hi CaraR,
I believe those fruits you have there, did it flower in those 2 spots before? You can see a bud (or new growth) to the left of the 'fruits' you circled
Alejandro
CaraR

Post by CaraR »

Hi Alejandro! Thank you so much for your reply. the two fruits or blossoms that I circled began but then fried up before actually opening into the usual floral bloom. And yes, there is a new bud coming up next to them.
Could the cactus actually be thirsty or not hydrated enough to let the flower come to full fruition?
Thank you.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

CaraR wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:20 pm Hi Alejandro! Thank you so much for your reply. the two fruits or blossoms that I circled began but then fried up before actually opening into the usual floral bloom. And yes, there is a new bud coming up next to them.
Could the cactus actually be thirsty or not hydrated enough to let the flower come to full fruition?
Thank you.
Not sure CaraR, the pad looks well hydrated to me, I don't grow Opuntias but here in the Sonoran desert they thrive with very little water
Alejandro
CaraR

Post by CaraR »

Thank you very much for your opinion and advice.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

I've had mammillaria flowers dry up without developing properly - the plant didn't have enough light. I've been giving the same plant more light since and it been flowering without an issue.

Have you maybe moved the cactus recently? or had new plants outside blocking the amount of light it gets? I've never grown opuntia, so I'm not sure if it'd respond the same as the mammillaria.
CaraR

Post by CaraR »

Ilvin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:53 am I've had mammillaria flowers dry up without developing properly - the plant didn't have enough light. I've been giving the same plant more light since and it been flowering without an issue.

Have you maybe moved the cactus recently? or had new plants outside blocking the amount of light it gets? I've never grown opuntia, so I'm not sure if it'd respond the same as the mammillaria.
Thank you for this response! Sorry for my long delay. I had not changed anything about their location or environment. I'm still experiencing the same issue. They seem to initiate new pads and blooms but then it just fizzles out...
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

I have one more guess, but it is just a guess. How long have you had the cactus? Have you repotted and changed the soil within the last 2 years? Do you fertilize?

I know cacti need little food compared to other plants, but its possible that if the potting mix is old its no longer getting the nutrients it needs. If you think this might be the issue, you can repot in a fresh soil mix and see if it helps.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Ilvin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:38 am I have one more guess, but it is just a guess. How long have you had the cactus? Have you repotted and changed the soil within the last 2 years? Do you fertilize?
That would be my guess too. Cacti are prone to drop buds (or not flower at all) when they are undernourished and/or conditions are not optimal for seed production.