Info on this cactus Chamaecereus luisramirezii

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Zig1969

Info on this cactus Chamaecereus luisramirezii

Post by Zig1969 »

I believe that I have this cactus" Chamaecereus luisramirezii" but I can't find very much information about it. Any knowledge would be great.
CameraZOOM-20231026152732874_compress58.jpg
CameraZOOM-20231026152732874_compress58.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Tom in Tucson

Re: Info on this cactus Chamaecereus luisramirezii

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Zig1969 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:29 pm I believe that I have this cactus" Chamaecereus luisramirezii" but I can't find very much information about it. Any knowledge would be great.

I won't ask you what you had to "shell out" for this new 'Peanut' cactus discovery, but I bet it cost more than a dinner for 2 at a fine restaurant. I've heard it's as easy to grow as the common species, but I can't speak with any experience yet. It's kind of funny that the common form has never been found in the wild since it's been cultivated, (over 100 years) so seed can't be produced unless its crossed with another genus.

If you'd like to send me any surplus, I'd be glad to report back to you on how to grow it. :D
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I've got 2 unrooted cuttings about 10cm for 2.78 euros both from Succseed (Mats Winberg, Sweden) last summer.
They rooted very fast and grow without problems on full sun. The stems and spines are very tiny comparing to common Ch. silv.
Zig1969

Post by Zig1969 »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:28 pm
Zig1969 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:29 pm I believe that I have this cactus" Chamaecereus luisramirezii" but I can't find very much information about it. Any knowledge would be great.

I won't ask you what you had to "shell out" for this new 'Peanut' cactus discovery, but I bet it cost more than a dinner for 2 at a fine restaurant. I've heard it's as easy to grow as the common species, but I can't speak with any experience yet. It's kind of funny that the common form has never been found in the wild since it's been cultivated, (over 100 years) so seed can't be produced unless its crossed with another genus.

If you'd like to send me any surplus, I'd be glad to report back to you on how to grow it. :D
I only paid $6 US for it and I just got it a few days ago. I just started keeping succulents and this was my second cactus that I purchased. Once it's growing and settled in, I will be glad to send you one.

I'm a master gardener for anything outdoors in Indiana but I never kept houseplants and I decided that I couldn't go another winter without something to grow and take care of. I collect and grow rare melons cantaloupe, watermelon. So I decided that I would do rare succulents as well.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Seems these can be grown from seed, according to this thread: https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=10

Apparently it's more elongated than the common Peanut Cactus, as well as shorter spined - otherwise very similar. Easy to grow, good choice for a first cactus - many rare species are rare because they're difficult, this one is rare only because it was a fairly recent discovery.

I expect it won't be rare for long. Looks like an excellent hanging basket plant.
Spence :mrgreen:
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

ADBLPS had seed of this species (with locality) for the 2022-23 catalog. Very attractive when in bloom. I was debating whether or not to buy seed, but ended up getting something else!

Pic from the catalog.
Zig1969

Post by Zig1969 »

greenknight wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:18 pm Seems these can be grown from seed, according to this thread: https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=10

Apparently it's more elongated than the common Peanut Cactus, as well as shorter spined - otherwise very similar. Easy to grow, good choice for a first cactus - many rare species are rare because they're difficult, this one is rare only because it was a fairly recent discovery.

I expect it won't be rare for long. Looks like an excellent hanging basket plant.
The longer pups and the plant length overall kept throwing me off. When I looked at pictures of peanut, rat tail and monkey tail they came close but never matched up. In fact I couldn't ID it. Not just because I'm a beginner with succulents. I successfully Identified a couple of other rare succulents that I have but finally someone on reddit recognized it.
Zig1969

Post by Zig1969 »

It has no common name but I think "circus peanut" would be a good name.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As shown above it is usually grown as a pendant plant in a hanging basket, unlike the usual C. silvestrii that grows OK in a pot on the stageing. As to its discovery see the following link that will usually translate using Google Translator or similar.

http://www.incact.cz/index.php/82-chama ... r-spec-nov
Zig1969

Post by Zig1969 »

DaveW wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:36 pm As shown above it is usually grown as a pendant plant in a hanging basket, unlike the usual C. silvestrii that grows OK in a pot on the stageing. As to its discovery see the following link that will usually translate using Google Translator or similar.

http://www.incact.cz/index.php/82-chama ... r-spec-nov
Great article, thanks.