Seed Sowing Density?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
zpeckler

Seed Sowing Density?

Post by zpeckler »

Hey everyone,

So, how densely do you sow seeds?

I'm looking to do batches of 20-30 seeds, and I'm wondering what size container is recommended for that many seeds. On hand I have 3" and 5" containers that would be decent for seedlings, but if a different size is recommended I can look for that.

How many seeds would you sow in a 3" or 5" container, if 20-30 is too many?

Thanks
Zac
Last edited by zpeckler on Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Nino_G

Re: Seed Sowing Density?

Post by Nino_G »

If 3" is diameter of the container, it is more than enough for 30 seeds (unless you are sowing Opuntia seeds).
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

zpeckler wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:10 pm Hey everyone,

So, how densely do you sow seeds?

I'm looking to do batches of 20-30 seeds, and I'm wondering what size container is recommended for that many seeds. On hand I have 3" and 5" containers on hand that would be decent for seedlings, but if a different size is recommended I can look for that.

How many seeds would you sow in a 3" or 5" container, if 20-30 is too many?

Thanks
Zac
I usually plant 10 per in² for smaller growing cacti. For larger types, such as Ferocactus I lower the density, to prevent long term crowding which can lead to deformed growth over extended periods (1-2 yrs.).
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I usually throw about 20 seeds in a 4" pot. A 5" pot should be fine for all of them. Once they start crowding each other I'll repot them into their own individual-ish seedling tray.

Mark

Post by Mark »

I usually do the whole pack of seeds depending on the size. I also let them grow till kind of crowded then separate like toadstar.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

It depends a bit on the species. But if the seeds are not very big, you can easily fit up to 100 seeds in one little pot of just 5 centimeters.

I have sowed amounts of 100 seeds in one pot multiple times through the years. The only disadvantage is in about a year or so you will need to repot them all, as they will crowd up very fast this way. But the plants don't mind being crowded like this in the first year.