Wintering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ossy96

Wintering

Post by ossy96 »

Hello cacti collectors,
I would like to make my cacti bloom and because of that i put them in an unfinished, unheated house where the temperature drops even around - 1°C and The humidity is around 70 % Last time i measured... (which is very high for cacti) what can i do to make them not die in Winter?
Sorry for my english
Son: dad i want a dragon for my birthday
Dad: ask me something more realistic
Son: ok then i want some Consolea falcata seeds
Dad: what colour do you want your dragon to be?
Aiko

Re: Wintering

Post by Aiko »

Open the windows on nights when the temperature does not go down much than around -2C or so. Then all cacti should be alright as most can handle a bit of frost (assuming you don't have specific heath lovers). Fresh air will be one of the best things you can provide for your plants year round.

What do you mean with an 'unfinished greenhouse'?
ossy96

Post by ossy96 »

@Aiko its not a greenhouse, its a house made out of bricks, but i have plenty of sunlight, its just unfinished and cold...
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Aiko's advice is good. In my experience low temperatures and high relative humidity are not a problem if sufficient ventilation (air flow) is available. I overwinter my cacti on an open balcony where temperatures regularly drop below zero and plants often experience morning fogs (relative humidity 100%) at the same time. I've been doing it for over 30 years and never had any problems with the plants. I do not keep sub-tropical or tropical species, though.
Maybe you can post a list of the cacti you're growing?
ossy96

Post by ossy96 »

Well there i have species like: echinopsis oxygona, opuntia moncantha, Lobivia subdenudata, ferocactus emoryi, other ferocactus species, stenocereus pruinosus, parodia magnifica etc
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

FWIW, whereas most of my collection is in an unheated (though fleece-lined greenhouse) I keep all my Ferocacti, S. pruinosis and P. magnifica indoors in a cool room. https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/ is a good place to find out tolerance to cold for each variety.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

ossy96 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:37 am Well there i have species like: echinopsis oxygona, opuntia moncantha, Lobivia subdenudata, ferocactus emoryi, other ferocactus species, stenocereus pruinosus, parodia magnifica etc.
None of the listed species will have problems with mild frost, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just provide sufficient ventilation and light, and everything should be OK.
P.S. It would help if you would specify your location (please note that most members have location specified in their profiles) for better understanding of climate conditions in your area.
ossy96

Post by ossy96 »

@Nino_G i updated it 😃
ossy96

Post by ossy96 »

Update species: Pilosocereus pachycladus, pachycereus pringlei, Cephalocereus senilis, astrophytum myriostigma, astrophytum ornatum, opuntia microdasys,