can you tell me what these are?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Kipody

can you tell me what these are?

Post by Kipody »

and how to kill them?
Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20231217-WA0047.jpg
IMG-20231217-WA0047.jpg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
Ilvin

Re: can you tell me what these are?

Post by Ilvin »

Its hard to say from your photo, but I assume you mean the white bits on the spines? They look like mealybugs to me.

Mealybug treatment varies from area to area - I use isopropyl alcohol because the systematic insecticides are quite aggressive and not available in my country. That said, I've only ever dealt with spine mealybugs in ones or twos.

Try this link here: https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42129 for a more detailed explanation on them and how to get rid.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, alcohol will kill them, as will soap sprays. The eggs will survive, though, and more will hatch out - you need to repeat the treatment weekly until you're sure they're gone. The advantage of systemic insecticides is they have residual action, they will continue to kill the new hatchlings for months.
Spence :mrgreen:
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I bought a Ferocactus viridescens earlier in the fall that was infested with mealybugs on the spines. I used tweezers to pick them out and a small paint brush soaked with isopropyl alcohol to remove anything I missed. I watered with a systemic insecticide (imidacloprid) and sprayed the whole plant (I made sure the areole fuzz was well soaked; mealies like to hide in there!) and pot with a contact insecticide (this product https://bioadvanced.com/3-in-1-insect-d ... ntrol.html) overnight. I repeated the spraying 2 weeks later. I haven't seen them pop up again, but it is winter now and the bugs aren't as active. I will repot in spring; there may be eggs and bugs in the soil waiting for warmer temperatures.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

MrXeric wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:36 am I bought a Ferocactus viridescens earlier in the fall that was infested with mealybugs on the spines. I used tweezers to pick them out and a small paint brush soaked with isopropyl alcohol to remove anything I missed. I watered with a systemic insecticide (imidacloprid) and sprayed the whole plant (I made sure the areole fuzz was well soaked; mealies like to hide in there!) and pot with a contact insecticide (this product https://bioadvanced.com/3-in-1-insect-d ... ntrol.html) overnight. I repeated the spraying 2 weeks later. I haven't seen them pop up again, but it is winter now and the bugs aren't as active. I will repot in spring; there may be eggs and bugs in the soil waiting for warmer temperatures.
I'm sure you more than likely killed the little buggers, but the "rule of thumb" I've followed for years is; to apply spray every 3 days for 2 weeks for nearly certain 100% eradication.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:05 pm I'm sure you more than likely killed the little buggers, but the "rule of thumb" I've followed for years is; to apply spray every 3 days for 2 weeks for nearly certain 100% eradication.
I don't get mealybugs unless they come in from new plants I buy. Mites on the other hand, is a perennial battle. For those I spray the infected plants every couple days for two weeks at least. One application of miticide is never enough!