Hydrochloric acid

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
zpeckler

Hydrochloric acid

Post by zpeckler »

I ordered some chinosol from C&D's Succulents and they had hydrochloric acid tablets for cheap that I picked up on a whim because I was paying for shipping anyway.

What genuses would benefit from an acid treatment to help germination? I'm guessing they'd have to be larger seeds just so you could strain them out of the bath easily. I've got a few Echinomastus and Echinocactus species I'm planning on sowing this year that are reputed to have low germination rates and for $3 I wondered if this would help.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
MrXeric

Re: Hydrochloric acid

Post by MrXeric »

Pediocactus and Sclerocactus would probably benefit. Opuntioid seeds would be good candidates too.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:25 pm Pediocactus and Sclerocactus would probably benefit. Opuntioid seeds would be good candidates too.
I've read at least twice that Echinocactus and Homalocephala are easier to coax into germination by using it as a means of scarification prior to applying water (soaking in acid overnight).

I have not used it, as my current treatment (high temps.) have worked well.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:26 am I've read at least twice that Echinocactus and Homalocephala are easier to coax into germination by using it as a means of scarification prior to applying water (soaking in acid overnight).

I have not used it, as my current treatment (high temps.) have worked well.
Ah yes, I nearly forgot about those! Your high temperature sowing method makes me wonder if that's why my second attempt at sowing E. horizonthalonius failed. My first attempt I didn't do a good job of controlling temperature and I remember measuring over 100F at times, but I got 60% germination. By the second attempt I started keeping the temperature between 80-90F more consistently and I got 0% germination!
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

NEVER use hydrochloric acid! It is toxic to plant life. Use sulphuric.