When and how often to water Adenium cuttings

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Aramidesaxi

When and how often to water Adenium cuttings

Post by Aramidesaxi »

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently gotten my hands on a large Adenium that was planted outside and was rotting from the bottom up. So I took about twenty 6 to 8 inch cuttings from the healthy parts. I’ve dunked the wound in cinnamon and I’ve let them dry for a week. Now I’ve planted them into dry soil (50% organic, 50% sand). They’ve been in the dry soil for about 8 days now. So from what I’ve seen on YouTube, the biggest risk is for them to rot due to overwatering. So my question is, when do I start watering and how often should I do so? I live in Honduras at sea level, so the weather is always warm. At the moment around 25°C/77°F . The cuttings are on my balcony with good light but no direct sunlight at the moment.

I would very much appreciate some pointers. My best guess would be to slightly water them and then let the soil dry out completely before watering again?

Thank you
Aiko

Re: When and how often to water Adenium cuttings

Post by Aiko »

Water when a cutting has developed roots that can take up the water. Earlier than that is useless.
Developing roots can take many weeks to even months for most cuttings.

I do wonder if Adenium can be grown from cuttings. But then again, it will not hurt to try it when there is no rescue possible in a different way.
Aramidesaxi

Post by Aramidesaxi »

Aiko wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:55 pm Water when a cutting has developed roots that can take up the water. Earlier than that is useless.
Developing roots can take many weeks to even months for most cuttings.

I do wonder if Adenium can be grown from cuttings. But then again, it will not hurt to try it when there is no rescue possible in a different way.
Apparently Adenium can be grown from cuttings. I’ve found lots of videos online, but with very vague instructions on how to water them.

Thank you
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Did you try to ask on Adenium forum?
https://garden.org/forums/view/adenium/?offset=0

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!
Aramidesaxi

Post by Aramidesaxi »

bbarv wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:35 pm Did you try to ask on Adenium forum?
https://garden.org/forums/view/adenium/?offset=0

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!
Will do that! Thank you!