Who grows Mammillaria beneckei?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
MikeInOz

Who grows Mammillaria beneckei?

Post by MikeInOz »

And more important, does it flower like in these pictures below?...... What do I need to do to get more than one flower at a time (if I'm lucky) Even more than one bud at a time!
I have 3 clones. None seem any more willing. I have tried keeping it warm in winter...no difference.
mamm beneckei.JPG
mamm beneckei.JPG (122.63 KiB) Viewed 34307 times
mamm beneckei2.JPG
mamm beneckei2.JPG (166.16 KiB) Viewed 34307 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Who grows Mammillaria beneckei?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Is photo #1 a habitat pic?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

MikeInOz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:19 am I have 3 clones. None seem any more willing. I have tried keeping it warm in winter...no difference.
I assume you have tried to keep it cold in winter too, say close to 0C or maybe even lower on a regular basis?
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

FWIW, my observations on growing this extraordinary species (largest seed in the genus, and with no known close relatives), are as follows:

This is the most cold sensitive species of Mam. that I've ever grown. Below 25° F, they can be damaged. The only other species that I'm aware of that's this sensitive is M. guerreronis.

Both clones of this species I've grown were self fertile.

They grow the best in a loam based soil, with hot summer temps. in a shady location.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm FWIW, my observations on growing this extraordinary species (largest seed in the genus, and with no known close relatives), are as follows:

This is the most cold sensitive species of Mam. that I've ever grown. Below 25° F, they can be damaged. The only other species that I'm aware of that's this sensitive is M. guerreronis.

They grow the best in a loam based soil, with hot summer temps. in a shady location.
Thanks Tom. That is basically what I give it although winter temps get down to 5C (40F) How cold do you let them get and do yours regularly flower well?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:15 pm
I assume you have tried to keep it cold in winter too, say close to 0C or maybe even lower on a regular basis?
Yes I have kept it at 15C and down to 5 or even lower without any noticeable difference.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:34 am Is photo #1 a habitat pic?
Doesn't look like it but it's in the ground so it must be in a good position.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I checked out the range of this species. It is very large. Min temps range from 10C or lower for southern Sinaloa to about 20C for Oaxaca.
I have many species from both these places and everything in between (Mammillaria mazatlazensis for example) and they all flower easily. Maybe it's something other than temps?...
mexico.JPG
mexico.JPG (65.81 KiB) Viewed 34213 times
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

MikeInOz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:28 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:56 pm FWIW, my observations on growing this extraordinary species (largest seed in the genus, and with no known close relatives), are as follows:

Thanks Tom. That is basically what I give it although winter temps get down to 5C (40F) How cold do you let them get and do yours regularly flower well?
As you noted in the distribution map, they're native to areas which never experience frost. So a cold period does not seem to be a requirement for flower formation. Heat and shade should be all that they need.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

It might be helpful to compare notes here. Tom and Mike, what are the specific ingredients and proportions of your respective mixes? If M. beneckei is finicky about the potting medium with regard to flowering, this could be the reason why Mike's beneckeis are flowering only one at a time.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:00 pm It might be helpful to compare notes here. Tom and Mike, what are the specific ingredients and proportions of your respective mixes? If M. beneckei is finicky about the potting medium with regard to flowering, this could be the reason why Mike's beneckeis are flowering only one at a time.
I don't think it is finicky. They grow like weeds in just about any mix. The need (or preference for loam) as Tom suggests probably has merit. Leaf mold too given that they grow under deciduous forests. .... https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... _id=281824
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

MikeInOz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:44 am
Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:00 pm It might be helpful to compare notes here. Tom and Mike, what are the specific ingredients and proportions of your respective mixes? If M. beneckei is finicky about the potting medium with regard to flowering, this could be the reason why Mike's beneckeis are flowering only one at a time.
I don't think it is finicky. They grow like weeds in just about any mix. The need (or preference for loam) as Tom suggests probably has merit. Leaf mold too given that they grow under deciduous forests. .... https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... _id=281824
This link from the inaturalist link you posted shows a good approximation of what conditions I've grown mine in. The other cacti present show how shady is must be most of the time:

MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Thanks Tom. I have moved my plants to slightly more shady conditions recently. One has 3 flower buds on it but that one was already in more shade than the others. I've learned that there are at least 2 forms. One being var multiplex. That makes sense with mine. One is very prolific offsetting and the other not so much.