Funny little sprouts coming from cactus

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CaraR

Funny little sprouts coming from cactus

Post by CaraR »

Thank you in advance! My cactus has some new funny little sprouts coming out of one side only. This is totally new after growing this cactus for a little over 2 years, The sprouts come out of one side and they reach downwards. This is a funny cactus as it tends to lean itself away from the light source (sunny window) but at the same time it angles its very top back toward the sun...I'm curious about this behavior too. And also are these sprouts a sign of distress? Attaching a photo. Thanks again, I love this community!
Attachments
IMG_4063.jpeg
IMG_4063.jpeg (130.16 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Nino_G

Re: Funny little sprouts coming from cactus

Post by Nino_G »

Some cacti with decumbent stems produce aerial roots that form adventitious roots when branches touch the soil. Aerial roots usually develop on the lower part of the stem.
CaraR

Re: Funny little sprouts coming from cactus

Post by CaraR »

Nino_G wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:51 pm Some cacti with decumbent stems produce aerial roots that form adventitious roots when branches touch the soil. Aerial roots usually develop on the lower part of the stem.
Thank you for your response. It is interesting... I'll keep watching to see what happens.