Cactus cutting gone bad?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Chindit

Cactus cutting gone bad?

Post by Chindit »

Hello all,

I've had this 4 ft. plant for about 30 years. About 6 weeks ago I noticed the tops were turning dark brown/blackish. So I sterilized a knife and cut off those parts. Now however, things look worse than when I started. Not sure what is going on. (I didn't use sulfur powder since it seemed a little scary as far as toxicity).

Any thoughts or remedies would certainly be appreciated. (I hope these pics are ok).

Joe

IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Cactus cutting gone bad?

Post by Steve Johnson »

First of all, please see this:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43819

Stagnant air in the house leads to problems for cacti -- including fungal infection, and I think that's what you're dealing with:
Cutting_gone_bad01.jpg
Cutting_gone_bad01.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
The black spot is especially concerning. Here's what I recommend:
  • Sterilize a sharp knife with alcohol and cut along the diagonal line indicated in my photo. if you keep the cactus outdoors in spring and summer, the angled cut will prevent water from pooling up on the top.
  • If you see any dark brown or black tissue, keep cutting until you see nothing but healthy green tissue. Sterilize the knife right before you make each cut.
  • Give the freshly exposed tissue a liberal application of sulfur powder. This is an example of what I'm talking about:
    Echinocereus_pectinatus_'Coahuila'02062015_06.JPG
    Echinocereus_pectinatus_'Coahuila'02062015_06.JPG (95.14 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
Sulfur powder isn't toxic unless you're eating it, so I'm sorry if you were getting bad advice there.

Because we're in the middle of winter, I have a feeling that you're keeping your windows closed for the duration. That means no moving air, so my recommendation is to use a portable floor fan and get some air moving gently around the area where you apply the sulfur powder -- not right away, but in a couple of weeks while the exposed tissue dries out.

Something else concerns me:
Cutting_gone_bad02.jpg
Cutting_gone_bad02.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
For good or ill, everything starts out in the roots. I believe that the calluses you see in the circle come from 30 years of growing the cactus in a rich soil-heavy mix. If that's the case, lean it out by adding some sort of mineral gravel to the mix. The options are:
  • Crushed granite poultry grit.
Pumice and calcined clay provide good aeration and drainage plus decent water retention, so I'll recommend a mix of 60% mineral gravel/40% soil, although I think you could tilt more in favor of the mineral side. If you decide to go with crushed granite, the ratio should be 50/50, but perhaps not the best option.

Question -- do you keep your cactus indoors or outdoors in the spring/summer growing season?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Chindit

Post by Chindit »

Steve, thanks a ton for that detailed analysis! I really appreciate it.
This plant stays indoors all year since it gets pretty cold a good part of the year here in the Northeast (Pennsylvania).
Unfortunately we have moved several times so the plant has had several new homes. Your analysis of stagnant air makes sense since it is in a closed dining room a good part of the time now (to keep the cats away).
Re the sulfur powder, the instructions on the bag are definitley scary (but apparently are just blanket warnings for liability issues).
I'll get to work here on your advice.
Thanks again!
Joe
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

A follow-up recommendation...

I come from the "ancient times" when the only indoor lighting we had was incandescent and fluorescent -- not good for growing cacti as houseplants. Full-spectrum LED grow lights have been a genuine game-changer, so check out the selection on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grow+lights+ ... doa-p_3_11

I see a few that should work well for your setup. If you buy a grow light with a timer (I'm pretty sure it's a standard feature), you can emulate day lengths based on where you live in PA:
  • January -- 9 hours
  • February -- 10 hrs.
  • March -- 12 hrs.
  • April -- 13 hrs.
  • May -- 14 hrs.
  • June -- 15 hrs.
  • July -- 15 hrs.
  • August -- 14 hrs.
  • September -- 12 hrs.
  • October -- 11 hrs.
  • November -- 10 hrs.
  • December -- 9 hrs.
Warmth in the house may mean that your cactus can do a little bit of growing in fall and winter, so the grow light will help if it does. Also, cacti need to be periodically fertilized when they're grown under pot cultivation (no, not that kind of pot! :lol: ). Have you been fertilizing? If so, what fert are you using, and how often are you applying it? If you're fertilizing very little or not at all, now would be a good time to have a conversation about this.
Chindit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:27 amThanks again!
My pleasure! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Chindit

Post by Chindit »

Thanks again for all that info!
The fertilizer i have been using are drops by Schultz 2-7-7 Cactus plus. I was originally using it every couple of weeks in Spring, Summer and Fall, but had cut back to once in Spring, once in Summer and once in early Fall. (I was adding 7 drops per quart of distilled water).

Just one other thing--and this may be a stupid question--but when you say "lean out" soil mix do you mean remove some old soil and mix in the new stuff, or re-pot the entire plant in a new mix?

And also in the second photo with the calluses you circled--should I perform "surgery" on that one also?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Chindit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:10 pmJust one other thing--and this may be a stupid question--but when you say "lean out" soil mix do you mean remove some old soil and mix in the new stuff, or re-pot the entire plant in a new mix?
Not a stupid question, the terminology needs to be more precise:
  • Lean = mostly mineral gravel, some soil with minimal organic material. The mineral component promotes free drainage and good aeration of the roots. The soil component is for moisture retention.
  • Rich = soil with a significant amount of organic material (usually tree bark). Fine for leafy plants, not fine for cacti because a soil-heavy mix suffocates their roots.
There's nothing wrong with organic material per se, but too much of it can be a pathogen "trap" over time. If you repot your cactus with a 60% mineral/40% soil mix, it'll be lean enough to do the job. With that said, ideally you should repot with fresh mix every 3-4 years. By the way, never leave old soil in the pot, and clean it out of the roots as thoroughly as possible. You're contending with years of compacted soil, and water is the only way to loosen it. Swish the roots around in a container of water, then gently tease the soil out of the roots with a blunt instrument like a q-tip handle, knitting needle, etc. If roots come out in the process, chances are they're dead anyway. Don't worry about it -- your cactus will grow new roots in the lean mix.
Chindit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:10 pmThe fertilizer i have been using are drops by Schultz 2-7-7 Cactus plus. I was originally using it every couple of weeks in Spring, Summer and Fall, but had cut back to once in Spring, once in Summer and once in early Fall. (I was adding 7 drops per quart of distilled water).
A couple of problems there. First, the Schultz 2-7-7 is horrible stuff -- not nearly enough nitrogen, way too much phosphorus. The basic "rule of thumb" we follow is "P lower than N, K higher than both". Unfortunately there's not one fertilizer "specially formulated for cacti and succulents" that gets it right. Oddly enough, we do have an orchid fert with the NPK balance more suitable for your cactus:

https://www.amazon.com/Fertilizer-13-3- ... 725&sr=8-5

Water-soluble granules, dilution is 1/4 cup per gallon of water. I only use liquid concentrates, so I don't know how long it'll take for the granules to dissolve. Shouldn't take long, though. The other problem -- you have your cactus on a starvation diet. If you water every 2 weeks during spring and summer (my recommendation based on using a lean mix), fertilize with every other watering.

While we're on the subject of watering...

There's only one way to water in the growing season -- deeply, as in water coming out of the pot's drain hole. Of course that'll mess up your floor, so you can avoid it by doing this:
  • Put a pan down on the floor.
In the fall and winter, you can give your cactus some occasional light watering (no fertilizer) -- just enough to moisten the mix without drenching it. By "occasional", I mean every 3-4 weeks.
Chindit wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:10 pmAnd also in the second photo with the calluses you circled--should I perform "surgery" on that one also?
Not unless you see blackish areas on the callused rib. The biggest callus could be a trouble spot. I need to see the entire cactus, so please post a photo of it pot and all. A close-up of the potential trouble spot would also be helpful. From there we can determine the best course of action if you're dealing with a worst-case scenario. If it comes to pass, but the roots are healthy enough to grow under the better conditions I'm recommending, all is by no means lost.
Chindit

Post by Chindit »

Wow--thanks for taking the time for writing that in depth tutorial!
As you can probably see my knowledge of these plants is pretty deficient (even though I've been growing them casually for years). I guess I had kind of a benign neglect toward them until very recently (I'm embarrassed to admit).
I'll start work on your recommendations.
(I'll see about getting a whole plant photo up soon--my wife is the technical expert here).
Many thanks!!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

You're welcome, Joe! One thing I did want to mention...

I made a big boo-boo regarding the fertilizer I recommended -- dilution should be 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Since the fert is granular, the 1/4 tsp. should be heaping, not level. Also, calcium is an important secondary major nutrient. Your cactus will get enough N from the fert, so I highly recommend this nitrogen-free CalMag liquid concentrate from TPS Nutrients:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Organic-Pla ... hdGY&psc=1

Dilution is 1/4 tsp. per gallon of water. I've been acidifying my hard tap water for years, and believe it or not, my cacti get a good amount of calcium and magnesium that way. However, the acidification procedures are a bit complicated, so they're beyond what casual growers are willing to deal with. Totally understandable, in which case I'll recommend distilled water and R/O water. Rainwater is great too if you can store enough for your annual watering needs. Although you should fertilize with every other watering in the growing season, I highly recommend that you add the TPS CalMag to your water with each watering. Perfect for distilled, R/O, and rainwater.

I'll look forward to seeing those new photos
Chindit

Post by Chindit »

Hi Steve,
Sorry for the delay, but here are some pics of the cactus. I'm embarrassed now that I can see clearly how I've neglected this plant. The pot has a diameter of 8 inches, which I am sure is too small at this point.
When I cut off the blackened parts there was no sign of any problem.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Joe

Cactus14.jpg
Cactus14.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Cactus18.jpg
Cactus18.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Cactus19.jpg
Cactus19.jpg (30.36 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Does it stay permanently in the dark corner?
If so, the only recipe will heal and save it: full sun.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

anttisepp wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:48 pm Does it stay permanently in the dark corner?
If so, the only recipe will heal and save it: full sun.
Or a full-spectrum LED grow light. I'll discuss it further later in this post. In the meantime...

Joe, I'm glad you sent us the photo with the base of the cactus in its pot. The beige area is known as corking. Many desert species develop corking as a natural part of the aging process. However, the corking on your cactus is excessive -- a sure sign that its root system isn't healthy enough to grow in what's pretty much pure soil. If you want to save the plant, you must take it completely out of the pot, clean the soil out of the roots as thoroughly as possible, and repot it in a smaller pot with the 60% pumice-40% soil mix I'm recommending for you. CoolestGravy did a marvelous job of root-cleaning, so see this for photographic examples of what clean roots look like:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 2&start=15

There are no shortcuts or half-steps here -- the job of unpotting and cleaning will be messy, so I hope you have a room in your house where you'll be able to do it properly. If you don't, it'll have to be an outdoor job to be done when winter gives way to spring. If that's the case, you can't do anything until then -- and certainly no water yet! Once the roots are clean, we can determine the right diameter and depth of the pot you'll need before you repot. I should also mention that porous clay pots (AKA terracotta) are to be avoided for the reasons I describe here:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45833

The stems growing from the main (parent) stem are called offsets, and you do have a couple you can use as "insurance" plants in case you're not able to get the roots of the entire cactus growing again. This is one:
Cactus18.jpg
Cactus18.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
You might be able to remove it with your bare hand. If not, sterilize a sharp knife with alcohol and do the cut right on the attachment point indicated by the red line.

This is the other:
Cactus19.jpg
Cactus19.jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
I think you should be able to remove that one with your bare hand. By the way, if the spines are liable to poke your skin, use a rolled up newspaper so you don't get stuck with little bleeds. Right after you remove the offsets, give all freshly-exposed tissues a liberal dusting of sulfur powder and let them form a callus. If you're up for this, I'll guide you on how to root the offsets as cuttings in a later post.

The whole thing will be for naught unless you address 2 problem common to all hobbyists growing cacti as houseplants -- lighting and ventilation. In the case of your tall columnar cactus, I think a grow light will have to be mounted on the ceiling. Go back to the Amazon link I posted on 1/28:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grow+lights+ ... doa-p_3_11

That should give you some ideas. Stores selling hydroponic supplies might be helpful too, so you may want to do some research there. If you decide to root the cuttings, you can put their pots on a small table, and a grow light on the floor or tabletop will be fine. I see ventilation as the bigger problem, especially since you have your cactus stuck in a corner. For that, I'll recommend a floor model oscillating fan aimed in that general area. You don't need a windstorm, just a gentle breeze at least during the day (I don't think you'll need it at night).

One more "by the way"...

It would be nice if we know the species name of your cactus. I only know the 66 species of cacti I grow, and yours isn't one of them. Hopefully one of our other members can give us a name.
Chindit

Post by Chindit »

Thanks Anttisepp for noting the lighting problem. While the plant is in a corner, it is only about 18 inches from a window with the sun shining directly in. Needless to say that will be improved upon.

Steve, thanks again for all that info. I've already ordered pumice from Amazon. So this is my plan:
1. Perform surgery to remove the offsets for eventual planting.

2. Start the procedure to clean the roots. I can do this in my heated basement in the next couple of weeks. Once the roots are clean i will photograph them and await further instructions. ( I will review the root cleaning link you provided).

3. I am going to move the plant to a much better location-pending the root cleaning-- where it will get more direct sunlight (days are starting to get longer here).

4. Set up a small fan to use during the day.

Thanks so much for all that information!
Joe
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Thank you, Joe -- I appreciate the opportunity to take up the challenge. :D And I'll keep an eye out for new photos. In the meantime, here are a couple of things...

First, when you remove the offsets, you won't have to deal with repotting until early spring. Once you remove them, post photos of each offset top-to-bottom. Then I'll guide you on determining the right sizes for what I call the rooting pots, plus potting instructions. You'll need this to facilitate the rooting process for your offsets:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Ingredi ... 9hdGY&th=1
Chindit wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:44 amI am going to move the plant to a much better location-pending the root cleaning-- where it will get more direct sunlight (days are starting to get longer here).
If you can do that and it's a south-facing window, I don't think you'll need grow lights. This might be helpful:

https://shuncy.com/article/how-much-lig ... actus-need
Chindit

Post by Chindit »

One quick question: we are going to have a warm up here toward the end of the week where the temps will reach the mid to high 50's. Do you think this temp is ok to do an outside root cleaning or should the temp be warmer than that so as not to shock an indoor cactus?

(yes, the windows face south).

Excellent light article--thanks!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'll answer your question with a question -- what are the overnight low temps in your house? By the way, I'm glad that lighting article came in handy for you!