Lithops

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
zpeckler

Lithops

Post by zpeckler »

A friend of me got me this little pot of Lithops. I have basically no knowledge of anything regarding Lithops, and was wondering if anyone knew the species? It actually looks like it might be a couple different species planted together in the same pot.

Lithops.jpg
Lithops.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

I'm gonna be starting repotting a lot of my cactus collection in the next month or so. I figure I'd re-pot these guys while I'm at it. Anyone have any recommendations on what kind of growing medium they'd like?
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Tom in Tucson

Re: Lithops

Post by Tom in Tucson »

zpeckler wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:42 pm A friend of me got me this little pot of Lithops. I have basically no knowledge of anything regarding Lithops, and was wondering if anyone knew the species? It actually looks like it might be a couple different species planted together in the same pot.

I'm gonna be starting repotting a lot of my cactus collection in the next month or so. I figure I'd re-pot these guys while I'm at it. Anyone have any recommendations on what kind of growing medium they'd like?
I'm still learning as well. I recently bought this bool to get me acquainted with this genus:

I agree, more than one species. That soil has got to go. Try using a course sand mix (no humus).
C And D

Post by C And D »

The 2 brown middle ones are L. aucampiae
the brown on the right is L. hookeri
Bottom, L. karasmontana bella

and the top ones look like one of the many green forms of L. lesliei
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:34 pm I agree, more than one species. That soil has got to go. Try using a course sand mix (no humus).
C And D wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:03 am The 2 brown middle ones are L. aucampiae
the brown on the right is L. hookeri
Bottom, L. karasmontana bella

and the top ones look like one of the many green forms of L. lesliei

Thanks a bunch, Tom, Craig, and Denise!

Oh yeah, the soil is nasty. Looks like big-box store peat and perlite.

As far as a growing medium goes... "Coarse sand mix." I don't have a good source of coarse sand, but I do have a ton of decomposed granite on hand. I can screen out the smaller sized particles in the 1/12 to 1/8 inch range. I also have a bunch of 1/8" pumice and/or scoria to lighten up the mix as well. I could also throw in like 5-10% turface to give the mix some CEC. What do you guys think of these components?
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
keith

Post by keith »

I grow Lithops in sandy soil Plus Pumice 50% -50% . I think DG will work fine mixed with some kind of soil . There is a grower in the San Fernando valley that grows hundreds of Lithops in that kind of soil mix. "Succulents of the Veld ." What kind of soil IDK I think most people buy something in a bag I don't know what are the best brands though ?