Euphorbia? Stapelia Variegata? Help!!!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Cindyandherplants

Euphorbia? Stapelia Variegata? Help!!!

Post by Cindyandherplants »

Hello all! While waiting for approval I posted this on another forum, and will incorporate the answer I received there today.

I have scoured the internet in search of information on this plant. I acquired it several years ago from someone selling off their plants, and it has really done nicely. Now, I'm thinking of making cuttings, and I'm not sure what it is! My research:
1. At first I thought it was a euphorbia cristata, not grafted but somehow rooted. Alongside it are "stubby stalks", I orignially thought they gradually change into the coral like part. Then I read, no those are the original graft trying to grow back, I should remove them....however, it does not appear to be grafted.
2. Every now and then it produces a flower. When looking online it appears to look just like stapelia variegata, in the carrion flower family. The stubby stalks look right, but not the coral like part.
3. It is so close to the ground level of the pot I can see if it's one plant, but "to me" one of the stems of the coral like part looks like a stubby part that's twisted as it grew.

The answer I received was that it was a Ceropegia mixta or by its old name Orbea variegata, a type of Starfish Cactus. I did see these on the internet, but have never seen them with a mutated/cristated(sp) part.

I give this plant almost zero attention and it thrives. BTW I live in Ecuador. Anyone have any ideas? Photos attached for reference.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-19 at 17.25.05_46d42e73.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-19 at 17.25.05_46d42e73.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Flower open.jpg
Flower open.jpg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Resized.jpg
Resized.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Resized1.jpg
Resized1.jpg (153.72 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Resized2.jpg
Resized2.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
greenknight

Re: Euphorbia? Stapelia Variegata? Help!!!

Post by greenknight »

Fasciation, commonly called cresting, can occur in any plant. What you have is clearly a crested plant which has partly reverted to normal growth, which is not unusual. Yes, it's Ceropegia mixta, better known by the older names Orbea variegata or Stapelia variegata.
Spence :mrgreen:
Cindyandherplants

Post by Cindyandherplants »

Thank you very much! One more question if I may....If I cut some of the crested part off, will it grow roots and continue growing in the same pattern? I'd hate to cut off some only to find it won't work. I will try cuttings of the normal growth as I would also like more of that type. I imaging that won't be a problem.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, cuttings should work fine. Cuttings of this species root easily.

I searched and found a counterpart of your plant: https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/26329
Spence :mrgreen: