I am 45.If it is late to sow Ariocarpus seeds?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
xiaohuage123

Re: I am 45.If it is late to sow Ariocarpus seeds?

Post by xiaohuage123 »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:59 pm I remember reading once an assertion by the owner of Miles to Go (Miles Anderson) that it usually takes around 6 years for most Ariocarpus to reach flowering size from seed on their own roots. The biggest obstacle now seems to be acquiring accurately labeled seed. Before Mesa Garden changed ownership, several years ago, they sold 50-60 types of the known species.. They now only offer 3 types of A. retusus. Consequently I order most of mine from ADBLPS, which will still ship to the USA despite the CITES classification.
I also like A. retusus.thank you for you let me know ADBLPS
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I'm 46 and still planting them. I'll cheat and graft a few though. Plant them in bags as described above (long bags of thick plastic intended for pet store fish work very well). Then keep them indoors under 18 hours of light and don't take them out of the bag until the bag falls apart. They grow much faster in bags, and long daylight hours keep them in active growth year-round. A 3.25" pot tends to fit snugly in a 6" bag and can house 50-60 ariocarpus seed, or 100 strombocactus. Bags lose water slowly, and will need a few pumps from a spray bottle when they are nearly dry.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

It's never too late! I'm also in my 40's and I'm sowing plants that I really like, but are slow-growing enough that I doubt that they'll flower in my lifetime. Seeing flowers is nice and all, but to me the main point of this hobby is appreciating and caring for plants we love.

That being said, I hope my son grows up to like growing cacti because he stands to become the caretaker of a lot of them! :lol:
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
7george

Post by 7george »

It is true. Sowing is worth just for doing seedlings, that can be given away, sold, or grafted. Some or many of my 10+ y. old seedlings are still not mature and this winter I was tempted again to sow some of my harvested seeds...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
C And D

Post by C And D »

I'm 65, and I plan on planting Ariocarpus seeds every year for the rest of my life.
Some I planted 20 years ago are bigger than I could ever imagined.
Some I planted 5 years ago are very nice sized.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

xiaohuage123 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am
Aztekium123 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 am After seeing the replies from my previous friends, I would like to say that it shouldn't be too late. I am 42 years old and started sowing in 2010. This year is already 2024, and over the years, I have successively sowed: Ariocarpus agavoides, Ariocarpus fissuratus, Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, Ariocarpus bravoanus,
Among them, Ariocarpus agavoides grows the fastest, while others bloom at the latest in the tenth year.
This gives me a great sense of achievement, and I am fortunate that I planted these varieties of plants many years ago. They bloom beautiful flowers every autumn.
I have been sowing AZTEKIUM in recent years, watching them grow up, and time will continue to condense essence into them. Make people feel happy both physically and mentally.
let us have a look on your beautifull Ariocarpu
Here are some pictures of my own plants from sowing seeds to growing up
When you plant too much, sometimes you may be too lazy to take photos of them
Attachments
微信图片_20231207105247_副本.jpg
微信图片_20231207105247_副本.jpg (372.76 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
1 (1).jpg
1 (1).jpg (449.47 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
1 (2).jpg
1 (2).jpg (463.22 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
1 (3).jpg
1 (3).jpg (417.63 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
1 (4).jpg
1 (4).jpg (451.61 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

promethean_spark wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 am I'm 46 and still planting them. I'll cheat and graft a few though. Plant them in bags as described above (long bags of thick plastic intended for pet store fish work very well). Then keep them indoors under 18 hours of light and don't take them out of the bag until the bag falls apart. They grow much faster in bags, and long daylight hours keep them in active growth year-round. A 3.25" pot tends to fit snugly in a 6" bag and can house 50-60 ariocarpus seed, or 100 strombocactus. Bags lose water slowly, and will need a few pumps from a spray bottle when they are nearly dry.
a good idear.Now I am waiting my seeds.Then I will have a try :lol:
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

zpeckler wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:28 pm It's never too late! I'm also in my 40's and I'm sowing plants that I really like, but are slow-growing enough that I doubt that they'll flower in my lifetime. Seeing flowers is nice and all, but to me the main point of this hobby is appreciating and caring for plants we love.

That being said, I hope my son grows up to like growing cacti because he stands to become the caretaker of a lot of them! :lol:
Maby your son find you give him so much costly plants.He will happy to sell them get so much money :lol:
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

7george wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:50 pm It is true. Sowing is worth just for doing seedlings, that can be given away, sold, or grafted. Some or many of my 10+ y. old seedlings are still not mature and this winter I was tempted again to sow some of my harvested seeds...
In fact .I Sew some seeds ten years ago.But so many years past .the left is very few.I forget to know What happen to most of them .stolen?drought to death?given to others?.The left were ignored fom so many years.Because they grew veryvery slowly,I didnt know how to raise them.so that I lost pationence till now I am becaming interesting again.More or less ,The left struggle to live till I Like them again.
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

C And D wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:46 pm I'm 65, and I plan on planting Ariocarpus seeds every year for the rest of my life.
Some I planted 20 years ago are bigger than I could ever imagined.
Some I planted 5 years ago are very nice sized.
I am very eager to see your 20 years old plant =D>
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

Aztekium123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:01 am
xiaohuage123 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am
Aztekium123 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 am After seeing the replies from my previous friends, I would like to say that it shouldn't be too late. I am 42 years old and started sowing in 2010. This year is already 2024, and over the years, I have successively sowed: Ariocarpus agavoides, Ariocarpus fissuratus, Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, Ariocarpus bravoanus,
Among them, Ariocarpus agavoides grows the fastest, while others bloom at the latest in the tenth year.
This gives me a great sense of achievement, and I am fortunate that I planted these varieties of plants many years ago. They bloom beautiful flowers every autumn.
I have been sowing AZTEKIUM in recent years, watching them grow up, and time will continue to condense essence into them. Make people feel happy both physically and mentally.
let us have a look on your beautifull Ariocarpu
Here are some pictures of my own plants from sowing seeds to growing up
When you plant too much, sometimes you may be too lazy to take photos of them
Very nice plants .I gess these plant are all ten more years old
C And D

Post by C And D »

This one is around 20 years old
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG (119.21 KiB) Viewed 959 times
This one is about 15 years old
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG (120.71 KiB) Viewed 959 times
8 years old??
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG (94.74 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

C And D wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm This one is around 20 years old
IMG_0420.JPG

This one is about 15 years old
IMG_1481.JPG

8 years old??
IMG_1482.JPG
The second is very beautifull
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hello folks,
everywhere in the world, people are terribly fast-moving & always want everything IMMEDIATELY.
It is very relaxing & refreshing to me to read your posts where you discuss without pressure that cacti sown today might flower in ten years time.
Hooray! =D> I think I am back to the right forum. :lol:
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...besides your plants are a bliss. I know what I am dreaming of.
N. ;-)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.