Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
hablu

Seedlings

Post by hablu »

Mainly Mammillaria and some Rebutia.
Harry

Loph

Post by Loph »

mmm quite nice! how old are they? what was your setup. light/heat/water/soil etc?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Man! I can't wait for mine to get that size!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

daiv wrote:Man! I can't wait for mine to get that size!
Thats my problem with seeds,I just cant wait
and it seems the older I get the less patience I have :lol:
hablu

Post by hablu »

No secrets; the old plasticbagmethod is still doing fine for me. A fairly sandy soil; leave it there unopened for a month or two and than some spraying. I always wait for the right nighttemps before sowing. These seedlings are from last year. They do not grow so fast in this way, but make fine compact plants. Now is the time to get used to some more sun.
The plants below are from summer 2005.(pic is from last summer) greets Harry

hablu

Post by hablu »

And here are the efforts of this year.I peeped in and most of them look rather succesful. harry

GeneS

Post by GeneS »

That's what I like Harry, ... someone who has jumped in with both feet.

Plus there is an additional message in these images.

The box in the first image is hopefully, what you have 12-18mo later from EACH of the bagged pots in the last picture.

Space planning can become a large part of cactus farming :) But, you will have first choice from the results!!

GeneS
Tony

Post by Tony »

Looking good Harry,
You mean you literaly dont open the bags for a month or two? :o
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hablu

Post by hablu »

Hi Gene, yes first choise for me; the rest is giving away because of the lack of space in my greenhouse.

hi Tony, fairly literaly. This time I have been looking after a week or four and sprayed a bit. When you look at the last picture (above) you will see that one pot is drying out (the one in the middle above). That one will be opened to see what is wrong.
The pots in this crate can be opened soon (I sowed at the end of april) to get some fresh air in. It depends a bit of the nighttemps if I close them in the evenings again. If the nighttemps are -say - above 12 degrees Celcius I will leave them open. the pots are placed in a halflight spot. I don't want them to sunburn. Later this summer I try to get them used to full sun. Getting them through the first winter is the next critical point. There I have the most losses. I treat them as hard as possible; don't water, only spray a bit on sunny days. I'm sure that I could do better in that time and get more results, but on the other hand: if two or three live and make it till next spring, that's enough for me. (my greenhouse isn't that big.)
The picture below are some seedlings from 2004: Noto magnificus (Parodia magnifica if you like) as long as they fit in this pot I will keep them; after that maybe one or two. The rest will have to go. The second picture has Pleiospilos and Cotyledon from last summer. greets Harry

Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Now thats efficient cactus farming there harry im impressed with yoor P.magnifica.