Grafting seedling Lophophora sp. o Pereskiopsis

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Loph

Grafting seedling Lophophora sp. o Pereskiopsis

Post by Loph »

here is how i do my Pereskiopsis grafts, mainly with Lophophora, but it works great with many other genera as well.

If you see some mistakes or anything feel free to comment :)

http://3kingdom.tripod.com/grafting1.html
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Loph!

Is that "3 Kingdoms" website your doing? That is really great! No doubt a lifetime project there! I have a time just trying to keep up with one family in one kingdom. :roll: But it looks like you've really got a good start.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Loph

Post by Loph »

Yes it is, thank you! Tis a life long project, thats my intentions. It started out with me documenting reptiles/amphibians in canada, then it grew to spiders then i moved to asia...and ya so on. You know how it goes :) My true passion are reptiles, amphibians and arachnids. botany and mycology are just obsessive hobbies, in a way :)

if that info is useful you can move it into here, but i didn't know how to copy that into this forum with pictures cause i am not allowed remote picture linking.

take care :)

anyway an update, i knocked that scion right off the stock when i was cleaning out the tank...so i had to redo it about an hour later, still good though :)
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hey thats great Loph,thanks for posting it
I will give it another go :wink:
Christos Cyprus

Post by Christos Cyprus »

Hi again Loph

great work with the article and of course great grafting work. It is really great from you to share your knowledge.

I have proceeded with my grafting, mostly on Pereskiopsis. I grafted Sulcorebutia and Turbinicarpus. As I promised before, as soon as I get my new computer (any day now) I will post some pics.

My main question is: How long can Pereskiopsis support the scion? It is a slender stock after all unlike Myrtillocactus or Hylocereus. Will there be a time when the stock will not be able to support the scion (because of size/ weight) and it will have to be degrafted?

Looking forward to your reply

Christos
A cactus is a terrible thing to waste.
Loph

Post by Loph »

yes it it not long lived. i would say from 2-5 years is average. but it depends on what your scion is. large fast growing cacti will grow far too big for it to support, others that are tiny and small will probably be able to go 10+years (theoretically). It is best to think of this specie as a jump start not a permanent home. but they will live for a god long time. i have often cut them very short so tehre is little pereskiopsis stock left but allows roots. so it appears that the scion is its own roots, but its not. must be careful with rot though, as pereskiopsis like it quite wet in comparison to other cacti :)