Seed supply

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
GeneS

Seed supply

Post by GeneS »

One of the first questions I'm always asked is "Where do you get seed?"

My favorite source is "right at home" from my own plants.

Here is the result of flowers on F. macrodiscus I posted some weeks ago. Seed available soon to caring, reputable homes :) :)

GeneS
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I would say so :shock: :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
CoronaCactus

Re: Seed supply

Post by CoronaCactus »

GeneS wrote:Here is the result of flowers on F. macrodiscus I posted some weeks ago. Seed available soon to caring, reputable homes :) :)
i have one of those 8)

hope this isn't taking away from the thread, and sorry it may seem like a very newbie question...but how does one retract seeds?
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "retract" seed. If you mean to "extract" the seeds, all one needs to do is to take any of those pods shown in the photo and break them open. They will be filled with hundreds of the little buggers (in this particular species). Dry them out and plant them...you're ready to go.

The thing is, in most cases, you need 2 or more plants of the same (or similar) species in order to cross-pollinate and get the seed pods to start with.

For instance, today, I have Turbi lophophoroides and Noto. roseoletus both blooming....nothing to cross them with....so I get nothing.

My Astrophytums and Thelocactus, however, are already filled with multiple pods that I will be sharing as soon as they are ripe.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

yup, thats what i meant, extract.

I got alot reaserch to do then...cause i know nothing about cross-pollination or even which are similar species...but the adventure is all part of the fun. I should start reading more and posting less :lol:

thanks for the info mikayak!