cacti problems !!

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
regisse

cacti problems !!

Post by regisse »

Hi,

a friend of mine gave me her cacti cuz she was moving out of town. I think it's a corryacactus quadrangularis. I put it near a window where it's having 4 hours of direct sun (maybe more). I live in montréal, so right now it's hot by day(28celcius) fresh by night(10 to 15). When I received it, he was all strech up and doing well. I re-root it because he wasn't holding up well. Since then one of the biggest branch starts to go soft in the middle. Now this section is covert by white stuff and it's all shrinking. And other big branch starts a pisa tower move... and it's having black spot. I water it a week after the re-rooting process with 30ml of water.

I'm new to cactus and I really don't know what to do and sorry for the english i'm french.

thank you

I have photos, but I don't know how to post them !!
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Sounds like its starting to rot.. there could be a number of things you can do to help it along,, first,, hows the soil youve transplanted in? is it well drained? and does it dry out fully before you water again?
regisse

Post by regisse »

hum, it's the original soil, so I don't know the mixture, but it's dry on the surface and a bit humid a inch down. I watered it once (a week after the transplant) from the top of the cacti, it took a while to absorb the water, it was standing there on the surface like if it was marble... but the soil was dry... didn't understand.

I think thats it.
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Mail me a image if you can, it always helps when you can see what were talking about, as a rule all cactus need a well drained soil, and that soil needs to dry out before watering it again, but it should be watered only in its growing season, in its off season and growing inside (controlled climate) watch the moist level close. If you have damp/humid soil under the top (down were the roots are)chances are its getting to wet.
I've even taken cactus out of their pots and layed out in the AZ sun to dry out before (scary I know but I have non the less) :shock:
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Thanks for the images there just fine.. From the looks of things it seems you have a very healthy plant, note the new growth from the main colums,, I would suggest more light and less water and you should have a fine spec for years to come.. after a transplant or move like this has gone through its normal for your plant to "adjust" to its new setting. The colum thats leaning over will fine a new root tap and should be fine.. if it contuines to lean,, count yourself lucky! because then we can cut it off and make several more plants :D :D
regisse

Post by regisse »

thank you very much for the help. But I'm still concern about the white stuff. Should I wash it. Looks like fungus or spider web.Or maybe it's just normal... I'll let it go and see what time could do.

have a nice one :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Turtleman, can you post the image? Or send it to me and I'll post?

Thanks
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I didnt see any "Spider Web" looking things on the images, or are you seeing the white puffie things at the edge where the needles are at? Maybe its the "Salt and Vinegar" tater chips got stuck on it :P :P

Sorry I didnt resize these.. no wounder my FTP took so long.. LMAO :roll:

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I reposted the images and shrunk them down.

Regisse,
It looks like a plant with unhappy roots.

I think this is a situation where you'll want to pull the plant out and inspect the roots. See if they are healty firm and yellowish. Cut off any roots that are rotten or damaged and then allow it to heal.

Then repot in a light well draining soil. Give it about a week and then give it a good watering. Then continue to water when the soil dries out which should be about every 1-2 weeks depending on heat and humidity. For me it's every week, but for John it's every 3 weeks or maybe even longer.

Also, you may not realize that those flowers are fake and glued on. Apparently some people like that, but I personally would take them off.

Daiv
regisse

Post by regisse »

hi all,

first, thanks for the fake flowers tip... :oops: i have let it live and it isn't getting any better. I have some new pics if u want (but I don't know how to post them). The others big columns seems to be under attack too !! :evil:

I'm gonna check the roots and I'll keep u inform. Thank you very much.
regisse

Post by regisse »

I looked at the roots. They are all stuck in one firm ball of dry soil. They seems very dry and yellow. Should I water it or wait a plain week ??

Regisse
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

This is a common problem. The root ball becomes so matted with many of the roots growing into one another, that when the plant is watered the water does not penetrate into the centre of the roots and the plant is starved of water.

Take the plant out of the pot and gently try to tease and separate the roots. Any that are dead or broken trim off either with a sharp knife or sharp scissors.

Repot the plant in fresh compost taking care to try to spread the roots out in the pot as much as possible. Then leave the plant for at least a week before watering, to give any cut or broken areas on the roots to heal over.

John