building a green house.

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Kuroc

building a green house.

Post by Kuroc »

Here a crude drawing of the green house I want to build.

I want 3 feet of the greenhouse underground. With cinder blocks as the wall. And 4 foot above ground. I want the water barrels to be at least 4 foot high so the staging will be above the ground.

The greenhouse is going to be 8 by 10 foot.

So what do you guys think of my idea so far?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think it is Gunnar whose greenhouse is partially underground. You should check his out. I guess, just make sure you have a really good drain in the bottom of it!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- The temperature modifying effects of that much underground space will be interesting to hear about.

I think it looks good. Passive solar might mean you don't need to provide any added heat in the winter.

peterb
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

Well I decided to only dig a 2 foot pit because the barrels are only 3 foot tall. What would your suggest that I put the cinder blocks together with to keep out water? Between the barrels I'm going to fill with some sort of crushed rock or would it be best to fill that back in with dirt?

Also I may install a pump to drain out excess water.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well the blocks you would want to use morter on, but without a floor drain, you are likely to end up with a bath tub at some point, I'd think. 8-[
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Why do you want it partially underground? The humidity for cactus in the winter especially could be a problem.
gunhat

Post by gunhat »

Yes, I too have my greenhouse partly under ground, about 2 feet. This way I can have all the glass above the plants. The space will be much larger, which is good for the greenhouse climate - the temperature will not vary to rapidly. And of course, it looks much nicer from outside.

Picures taken (and posted) a year ago:

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yep, I remembered correctly. How do you prevent flooding Gunnar? That is the only drawback I could see with that design.
gunhat

Post by gunhat »

I already had a draining system in my garden, below the floor of my greenhouse. Then I placed draining pipes around that house, in contact with the original system. And of course there is drainage from inside my greenhouse as well.

But the floor is wet some days in autumn /winter, because it can be raining every day for weeks in this part of Norway during that time of the year.