saving pollen

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Tony

saving pollen

Post by Tony »

Can a flower and or its pollen be saved for use at a later date on a different plant of the same species?
maybe in the fridge or freezer? :-k
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
parodias

Post by parodias »

yes but must be kept absolutely dry, even no air moisture .. trick is to store in a closed container over silicagel beads ..
FWIW
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks!
I will give it a shot on my A. myriostigmas that just wont bloom at the same time.

Tony
parodias

Post by parodias »

In the same spirit .. when about to use the pollen make sure the container and its contents are at room temperature before opening up just to avoid air condensation on your pollen .. it may ruin them .. just FWIW :D
Tony

Post by Tony »

parodias wrote:In the same spirit .. when about to use the pollen make sure the container and its contents are at room temperature before opening up just to avoid air condensation on your pollen .. it may ruin them .. just FWIW :D
So there is no damage done by keeping it in the freezer then?
I would guess this would be the driest place to store it.

Tony
parodias

Post by parodias »

Tony wrote:
parodias wrote:In the same spirit .. when about to use the pollen make sure the container and its contents are at room temperature before opening up just to avoid air condensation on your pollen .. it may ruin them .. just FWIW :D
So there is no damage done by keeping it in the freezer then?
I would guess this would be the driest place to store it.
No strictly speaking it should work but the absolute compulsory condition is that the pollen should be absolutely dry ... any moisture in the pollen will freeze solid and the even microscopic ice crystals will probably punture the cell membranes which will probably make the pollen worthless when thawing ... if not frozen the pollen will/may start to "germinate" and will grow to "nowhere" :D
FWIW
Tony

Post by Tony »

Ok, thanks again!

Tony
mmcavall

Re: saving pollen

Post by mmcavall »

I ' ve just found it. More info them in the other thread. The use of silica gel is a good idea. Has anyone tried?