How deep for indoor cactus bed?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
coyotefred

How deep for indoor cactus bed?

Post by coyotefred »

Hello everyone!

I'd like to build some indoor planting beds for some cacti and other succulents. Basically these would just be large (probably around 4' x 2') flat-bottomed troughs made from some scrap barn wood I have around, and would sit on the floor near my south-facing windows. These troughs would be lined with plastic and then filled with cactus soil mix.

My question...how deep do I need to make these? I'd like to keep them as shallow as possible for a couple of reasons, but deep enough so that any cacti would not be adversely affected in their growing.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this idea? I suspect the answer might depend on the type of cacti being grown (which I'm not 100% sure about yet--except for the fact that they will be desert cacti), but perhaps there are some general guidelines for this sort of thing...

Thanks so much!
coyotefred
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Coyotefred,
First, you are going to have share pictures of this project as it sound quite ambitious and interesting.

The greater majority of cacti do not have very deep roots, but rather wide spreading roots.

If you are going 4' x 2', then I'd say 1' would be plenty deep for that space.

I don't think there is an exact science to the ratio of width and depth. If you plan many smaller plants in the planter, then you could go less, if you want a few large plants (such as a pair of Golden Barrels) then you might go deeper.

Anyway that would be my input on the subject.

Daiv
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Coyotefred,

As Daiv rightly says cacti are mostly shallow rooted, that is why many are grown in half pans rather than full pots. Some of course, Lophophora some Turbinicarpus, Eriosyce etc. have quite a large tap root. It is a matter of knowing your plants. If you prefer your planters to be shallower choose your plants accordingly.

Whatever depth you make your planters, you will need to leave room for a depth of approx. 3in. of drainage material in the bottom. Gravel is usually recommended but I think that would make the planters too heavy and suggest you could use polystyrene 'chips' the type of thing that many companies pack electrical and other goods in. These are light and will do the job just as well.

John
coyotefred

Post by coyotefred »

This is very helpful...I recall reading that most cacti have more shallow roots that tend to spread laterally to be able to more quickly take up the infrequent desert rains, but you're right...I'll do my homework to try to avoid selecting species that have deeper requirements :)

I'll definitely post pictures (assuming it works well of course!!!) ;)

I like the idea of the "packing peanuts" (poly chips) in the bottom. I have plenty of gravel available, but I'd like to save the weight as you say...

Colin ("coyotefred")
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

you might want to consider keeping them in containers and just "dressed-up" to look like there in your bedding, at least that way you'll be able to move them in or out side as needed and will be better able to control the drainage problems you'll run into with a bed indoors without good drainage.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi Coyotefred,

I think Turtleman has a very good idea - keep them in pots. Indoor bedding might create few problems due to overwatering or spreading of bugs and deseases. On the other hand by keeping them in pots you can allow for different watering schedules or soil types depending on their needs. Also in case of any problem it is easier to act - just take them out and fix the problem without disturbing other cacti's roots.

Eduart
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I have heard other people suggest the drainage material in the bottom of pots as John suggests. I have also read that that can make for unhappy roots too as the some roots will be down in the fast draining material and dry out while the roots up above may be too moist. He suggests making sure the pots have large drainage holes and use a consistent mix.

To counter my point, however, I know John has many nice plants grwon his way, so again it may simply be a matter of preference.
coyotefred

Post by coyotefred »

Hmmmmm...I see your points here (as to keeping them in individual pots rather than larger indoor planting beds). I'd really like to avoid that if at all possible due to:

1. appearance (no offense to people who like them, but having a bunch of puts in a planter--even disguished--strikes me as cluttered and not very attractive for the rooms I'm thinking of); and

2. cost (I know pots aren't expensive per se, but compared to making a basic planter out of scrap wood and plastic sheet lining they are)

But I obviously don't want set myself up for failure by using the larger indoor planting beds. I was planning on making two; maybe I'll try one each way and monitor the results... It seems like drainage is the key issue, so any other creative ideas on how I can manage that would be appreciated :)
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Colin,

Eduart has made a very important point and it is one that you need to consider. When making the type of planted bed you have in mind, apart from the drainage (and I think you can make your own mind up on the suggestions made, all have their merits). It is a great advantage, particularly if you are planting directly into the planter (not using pots), to choose plants that have the same cutural needs, i.e. light [full sun or shade?], the same basic watering requirements, and unless you constantly want to be digging plants out, the same growth rate. For example certain Opuntias would grow much more quickly than for instance Astrophytums or Parodias. There are more 'dwarf' and slower growing Opuntias that will do the job very well, it is just a matter of picking the right ones. These plants are just examples and not suggestions.

You will see many planted bowls for sale with a mixture of true cacti and succulents. They look very nice at first, but cacti and succulents usually have very different growing needs, sometimes even growing at different times of the year so they are not ideal 'bed-mates.'

The aim in the type of planter you are going to have is to have plants of varying heights to create the best effect, it just requires some thought and planning, and will I am sure be a great success.

Cheers,
John