they don't like the sun

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
anoa0101

they don't like the sun

Post by anoa0101 »

i didn't realize until i nearly killed by accident some of my cacti, that not all of them can handle direct sun light. some started shriveling up, other just rotted and died. the ones that sort of survived i put indoors and now they are doing better.
since i don't have a way to attach pictures to this great site and thus not knowing what cacti i have, guess it's a trial and error procces.
are there some sort of guide lines as to hanlde this?

thanks,
yoni
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Maybe the sun intensity in Israel's too strong. I'm not sure. Placing them in direct sunlight could kill some species. Supply some shade, especially for the coloured cacti (Gymnocalycium mihanovichii "Red Cap" etc., Echinopsis chamaecereus f. lutea...).
When they're getting full sun, water some more, that will help too.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Have you read Andy's article about this subject yet?

http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article4.php

The thing to note here is that just like people, even hardy cacti need to get accustomed to the sun if they have not been exposed to it for a while. It isn't about handling the sun so much as it is the extreme change in condition.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Yoni,

As you say without photographs it is virtually impossible to give cultural help with your plants. As Daiv says, read Andy's article on the link Daiv supplied. Like humans and animals, plants need to become acclimatised to hot sunshine and should be introduced to it gradually.

There is one general tip that may help. You will usually find that cacti that are heavily spined will stand the sunshine far better than those with less or small spines. In nature the spines help to deflect the glare of the sun from the body of the plant. This is a general guide only.

Just one other thing I would pick up on is that 'rotting' sounds more like a drainage/watering problem than too much sun.

Mike on the forum is also from Israel, why not drop him a personal message on the forum and see what problems (if any) he encounters.

I hope your can solve your problems soon.

Best Wishes,
John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I would add that along with heavy spines is the light waxy coatings such as some pachycereus or the white fuzzy stuff on plants like Astrophytum. This also helps reflect the suns heat.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti