C&S Show Perth Western Australia

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Matthew1381

C&S Show Perth Western Australia

Post by Matthew1381 »

Hello,
Greetings from Perth !!

We had our semi-annual spring show last week. Some photos of what we Aussies collect Down Under for your viewing pleasure !!

The winning entries:

templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for sharing those pictures, there looks to be some really nice specimens there and more importantly well kept plants. It is nice to know that the hobby is thriving in Australia.

Do you have cacti nurseries fairly close by, or do you have to make mostly mail order purchases? One just thinks of Australia as having large areas of land that are uninhabited. I know that is not the case in Perth, but just wondered if plants were easily available to you.

I don't know whether you are a cricket fan, but I hope the Aussies didn't get too bad a press when they came home. They have some great players and don't deserve criticism. A couple of matches could have gone either way, but England played really well.

Cheers,
John
Matthew1381

Post by Matthew1381 »

Hi John

Yes ! wasnt that quite a tussle. I guess at the end of the day the younger team won and we have been holding the Ashes a bit too long. Never mind we take it back certainly in 2009 !!

We have a only a few nurseries out here in the West with limited specimen types,- understand that the selection out East - Sydney, Melbourne and elsewhere is better.
Most of the cacti experts grow theirs from seed from America and elsewhere whenever its possible to get them it as we have very stringent quarantine measures.

Cheers
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks for sharing -I have some comments/questions:

What kind of stuff does a person buy at Crazy Clark's? :wink:

Also I notice that they don't "stage" the plants. They are in regular plastic and clay pots. Is that part of the custom for that club? I can see the advantage as some shows can get carried away on the way a plant is potted and pay less attention to the actual plant.

Either way the plants all look very good. Did you have any entries?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ondy

Post by ondy »

It's funny that you bring up the staging thing Daiv. I was tlaking with Miles Anderson about the same thing when I was visiting with him this past week. He brought up how the judges in the Inter-City Show in Los Angeles were asked to judge more on presentation this year than they have in the past. He said that the whole staging aspect of the show really came about from guys like Woody Minnich and Larry Grammer pushing for it. Miles pointed out how at shows in other countries everything has to be either in plastic are plain clay pots. He told me that next year the plants he has to bring to show will all be in plastic pots, a show of protest I guess. Personally I think it is nice to have a well staged plant but I don't think it should count for a lot in the judging though. Also it is harder to transport plants that are all in heavy oddly shaped pots no matter how good it makes them look. I guess I'm torn on that one.

Andy
Matthew1381

Post by Matthew1381 »

Hi Daiv, - Hi all,

Crazy Clarks is a store where one can purchase cheaper versions of everyday items, very similar I guess to your Kmarts and Walmarts. One can get lots of especially household items made from China/India/Indonesia/Taiwan and elsewhere,- cheap and good quality.

Although I do not have the actual rules for that competition as I did not submit any entries, I was told that judges wanted plants only in black plastic pots, I assume for sake of uniformity in order to judge solely on basis of plants.

Most of our members grow them in black plastic pots & terracotta ( those terracotta ones you see in the pictures were just member displays - not entered for competition) and need to transplant into black plastic for competition.

It was a good show to highlight the society to the general public, there were of course lots of plants for sale, part of that proceeds go to our society to raise funds for a larger convention/show later this year ( the inter state competition from Australia and New Zealand )

Rgds
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hmmm. I'm learning a bit more about this. I can see the pros and cons of both. I guess the key is uniformity. If they're all in black plastic pots or all staged it certainly makes the overall show seem more organized and not accidental.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti