Help with bunny ear pad growth

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Bill508

Help with bunny ear pad growth

Post by Bill508 »

Hi: I got a pale green/yellow Opuntia Microdasys (Bunny Ears) last march which is now about 10" tall and consists of 4 pads. Two rooted pads with each having one pad atop. No new pads have come on it since I got it and was wondering if this is a normal situation. Its kept potted outdoors in full sun and watered about every 2 weeks or so. I thought it would at least grow a new pad or two over the summer but aside from the pads getting thicker & a bit bigger I have seen no new growth. How often do they sprout a new pad? Thanks for any information. Bill
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Hi Bill, and welcome to the forum.. I dont know where you're at but here in Arizona all the Opuntia won't add new growth in the summer (along with most other cacti) in fact I have about a hundered Opuntia Microdasys Montrosed and they're just now starting to add new ears/pads.. but this is normal for the heat/summers we have here, Fall and Winter is the growth season here. Check your roots to make sure they're healthy you shouldnt have "Yellow" pads
Bill508

Post by Bill508 »

Thanks Turtleman. Im in SE Alabama- hot & humid summers which may explain what you say. Maybe it'll grow some pads this fall/winter or even next spring. Its more green then yellow. Roots seem OK. Thanks again, Bill
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I believe it has to do with growing conditions mainly. I live in kansas and all my Opuntia collection always put on there new growth during the spring and summer. Of course mine are all hardy and are planted in the ground year round. It has been very hot and humid here this year but my opuntia's seem to love it :wink:
Oh, welcome to the forum. Theres some great people here and great info.

Bill
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Still another opuntia story here. I have all three O. microdaysis varieties and they grow year 'round for me. I have them all in the ground. I have to cut them back a lot.

They are certainly a hardy plant. Give yours lots of sun -it should grow easily.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill, welcome to the Forum.

Do you mean the pads themselves are yellow or the glochids [the fine haired circular areoles scattered all over the pads]? If it is your circular areoles that are yellow the plant is perfectly healthy.

Cheers
John
Bill508

Post by Bill508 »

Thanks to all for the hardy welcome and great info. Yes, the glochids are yellow with pale/light green pads. Regards, Bill