Sleeping Plants?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Markus

Sleeping Plants?

Post by Markus »

Hello -

I've recently (2 or 3 years) started collecting cacti and succulents
again after about a fifteen year hiatus.

Due to not enough watering in the past (maybe once a month) some of my
potted plants have gone to "sleep". I'm not talking about plants that
are quiescent in the summer - these plants should be actively growing.

With the watering frequency now increased since last spring to about
once a week some of the sleeping plants have woken up.

Several have not though - no apparent growth in the last year or so.

I water about once a week (two or three days wet, two or three days
moist and two or three days dry depending on the weather). I've
started using "Cactus Juice" as a fertiliser every two or three
waterings at half the recommended ratio. I use a pre-mixed cactus mix
from "Uni-Gro" (seems to drain very well) with clay pots.

Any suggestions on how to waken my sleeping plants?

Thanks...................., Markus in Pismo Beach, CA.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Markus,
I've had plants that sit dormant for a long time before as well. What I usually discover is that they have no (or very few) roots. I've had success by re-potting them, but sometimes lost them. Perhaps some others had different experience with this and can shed some more light on the subject. I agree with the other action you've taken too.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

I have experienced few similar things; the most striking experience was with an Echinocereus chloranthus which, after 2 years of total dormancy (nothing, nada, niente) showed signs of new growth in just 2 weeks after repotting. The root system was quite poor at that time, this is a sign indeed.

I think the plant might wake up by "shocking" it somehow - this may be repotting or significant sudden changes in light, watering or feeding.

Some plants may cease growing after moving them to a different place or even rotating them; most cacti are slow grower and it takes sometimes weeks or even months until they re-orientate towards the sun and start growing again.

Cheers,

Eduart
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Markus,

Daiv and Eduart seem to have covered just about every base very comprehensively and there is nothing really that I can add. any and all of their suggestions may stimulate your plant[s] but the one that works most often for me is moving the plant to a different location, sometimes only a matter of feet away.

Some plants [like people] get on famously together, others tend to sulk in a corner and won't talk to one another. No I am not a crackpot, [well not in this case] it has been scientifically proved that certain plants get on together better than others.

John