peyote,peyotillo,medicen balls

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I too like the way your laying out your bed. Must be nice to legally grow cacti like those.

I do have a couple of those little things, you know- whatever they are :-$
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
stephen.prout@uk

Post by stephen.prout@uk »

i have heard horra storys of iggnorant law men spraying vast fealds of cacti with weedkiller there could be meny numbers of cacti unknow that died i dont think theres any harm in growing plants as spesimins theres lots of plants that would be nice to grow here but i cant with umbells of blue flowers and plamate leaves but all ive got from that family is hops the only problem is hybrids that in the end will be so toxic they will kill you its like the potatoe that was poisonous a long time ago now weve got 100s of edibul variations its strange the world of plants did you know there's about 30 or 40 cacti considerd by the native tribes of mexico as peyote or there sometimes called some thing else here http://entheogen.netfirms.com/articles/ ... Cacti.html
have a ganda at this .
stephen.prout@uk

my seedlings are getting bigger ive now got some strate epiplantha micromis seed and im still look out for more things if any one would like to swap seed or plants with seed thats on the swap list (some are/were mispelt) could do with 5ton of lop diffusa to try ariocarpus astrophytum (havent got any astros) will do nicely see if i can tyde seed through the winter again.
seedlings make the world go round
Loph

Post by Loph »

when you say "echinopsis bridgesii" are you talking about "Trichocereus bridgesii"? they are different plants. T. bridgesii is now Echinopsis lageniformis. T. peruvianus is another very common one used for its mescaline.

you also left out Lophophora diffusa...different chemical makeup but still important.

also may be interested in this article by M S Smith.
http://entheogen.netfirms.com/articles/ ... Cacti.html
stephen.prout@uk

theres a very improtant reason that i left diffusa out in my first blurb !i didnt have any! now ive recently got koehresii las tablas and echinana which i think is the diffusa variation advertised as a dwarf also ive got all the astros mentioned by mssmith and epithelantha micromeris and uginispina just got to wait on those astrophythums and on with more buying addiction i wont be happy until my greenhouse is full for thoughs of you that saw that post its gunna be a meen feet.
seedlings make the world go round
firelab

Post by firelab »

The Michael S. Smith book, Sacramental and Medicinal Cacti, lists 60 different cacti with photos, description of use and qualitative analysis of some species. The lab work indicates primarily the alkaloids. Analytical procedures are available elsewhere.

mjg
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Hi, nice thing to get into. At least when you are explaining to non-cacti people why you are growing these plants, you can tell them about the history behind these 'sacred plants'

Trichocereus bridgesii is supposedly very potent, far more so than San pedro and also, although it wouldnt have existed at the time, its monstrose form (aka penis plant) also shares the same chemical makeup, but is even more potent and concentated due to its far slower growth rate. Also Tricho. peruvianus, scopulicola (similar to pachanoi) and spachianus.

Also dont forget Gymnocalycium Ragonesii, Lophophora echinata diffusa (doesnt contain mescaline but does have other chemicals and effects), many Turbinicarpus, Gymnocactus sp. (syn. Turbinicarpus now i think.) astro myriostigma and asterias, other epithelantha (bokei etc.) and micromeris varieties. Soon you will have a great collection of 'scared plants' :P
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Something i forgot, info about Trichocereus spachianus (aka spachiana).Alos known as Golden Torch Cereus. Commonly grown but little known in terms of its qualities. search google and you will find heaps of info. Heres some from 'Sharmanic Extracts': Contains: hordenine, N-methyltyramine (.007%), candicine (.01%), mescaline, tyramine.
sunmorpher

Peyote seeds

Post by sunmorpher »

I want to grow peyote cause I think they are gorgeous and I love the history behind them. I'm sort of paranoid about doing this though . . . Eh? Where's a good place to get the seeds? I'm new to all of this by the way.
-V i N n Y-
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Vinny, welcome here. We've discussed this topic quite a few times -as in the thread you've already found. Do a search on Lophophora using the search feature above, and you'll find tons of info. Still if you have questions beyond - ask away!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
sunmorpher

Post by sunmorpher »

Thanks! :D
-V i N n Y-