1st peyote san pedro graft

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
shenery

1st peyote san pedro graft

Post by shenery »

I just done this graft tonight, its my fist 1.
Do you think it will be ok and will the root produce more buttons.

Any help appreciated :D
Loph

Post by Loph »

honestly? i dont think it will work, but it may.

2 reasons. 1 if it is outside like that it is not humid enough.

but mainly because the ribs were not beveled. you need to cut the ribs down on an angle. when you make flat cuts, the center of the cactus sinks in and the outer skin dries up. this makes a cup. so it will separate from your peyote button, making contact almost impossible. when beveled it is like a blunt arrow going into your scion and contact is made and with pressure will stick together.

if it is still a new graft, i would personally redo it and cut the ribs down.

this is what i am talking about.

keep it going, looks good. but without a bevel they will almost always separate within a week, unfortunately. it also helps prevent the stock from pupping.
shenery

Post by shenery »

Ive put some bevels on now. The peyote looked a little dry when i put it back on it was quite stuck down, i did the graft about 11 hrs ago, do you think it will be ok now check the pics.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... 2Small.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... 1Small.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... 0Small.jpg

Cheers Steven
Loph

Post by Loph »

much better. you did cut both right? putting a dry scion on a fresh cut stock wont work, you probably know that.
shenery

Post by shenery »

thats the same one i took the peyote off then cut the bevels and put it back on again. The peyote was a little dry as i grafted it 11 hrs ago. Do you think ive screwed it up?
shenery

Post by shenery »

oh i see what you mean. no i didnt cut the peyote should i cut i small layer off the bottom of the peyote and do it again?
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

yes, just a sliver, from both surfaces.
Loph

Post by Loph »

even if 11 minutes, the cuts should always be fresh.
shenery

Post by shenery »

how long do you need to keep the elastic bands on for its been 3 days and how lond untill i know if its a succes or not?
shenery

Post by shenery »

how long do you need to keep the elastic bands on for its been 3 days and how lond untill i know if its a succes or not?
parodias

Post by parodias »

just a side Q .. why on earth does one want to graft Loph for ? except for a faster harvest ... :lol:
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
shenery

Post by shenery »

the reason is i want as many pups as possible
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Loph, do you need to use a rubber band if the scion is a small seedling? Will the juice from the stock be enough to hold it?
Loph

Post by Loph »

seedlings dont need it cause they are too tiny and will be crushed. also they are so small usually they heal "into" the stock, if that makes sense. anything over 3-4mm i use tape/weights.

i leave tape on those types of grafts for at least 5 days....if it looks healed (the 2 have formed together and the cuts and kind of a healthy brown/hard look) then carefully remove and keep in a somewhat humid area for another while...1-2weeks.

"just a side Q .. why on earth does one want to graft Loph for ? except for a faster harvest ... "

why not? pedros are great stocks, for many cacti. but i find them and myrtles to give out less pups that others. if you want crazy pups (in my opinion so many its not good) use pereskiopsis. they make cacti look grotesque they pup so much.