What's wrong with my cactus?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Cactus Ed

What's wrong with my cactus?

Post by Cactus Ed »

Hello- I've had this cactus (my first one) for about a month or so, and a little while after I first purchased it, I noticed a dark, purplish spot near the base. Now over time, it's gotten bigger, turned a nastier purple, and the cactus is receding/shriveling.

Is this something caused by watering it not enough/too much? Is this the infamous root rot?
Any information, especially advice on how to save it would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
ag10

Post by ag10 »

Rot seems likely to me - but the experts will let you know!
Looking at your pots (including the one in your other post) have they got drainage holes at the bottom?
Alan
Cactus Ed

Post by Cactus Ed »

This one doesn't have drain holes at the bottom, but when I potted it I put a layer of gravel in the bottom to allow room for drainage.
I've watered it about three times the two months I've had it; just enough to wet the topsoil and let it percolate.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Hi,
Having a layer of gravel under the soil doesn't really help. There is no way for the water to escape. Keep the plant dry. Drill holes in the pot or repot it to a proper pot with holes at the base. I would slice off the rotted portion of the plant to avoid spreading it to other parts.
-Mughal
Cactus Ed

Post by Cactus Ed »

Alright- I've sliced off the rotted part; it came off well. Here's a photo of the wound:

It's in fresh soil, and I drilled a hole in the bottom of the pot. Now I've read it should keep out of the direct sun while callousing over- is this correct? Should I hold off on watering for a while?
Any other advice for the recovery process and further care is much appreciated.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ed,
Looks like you did the right thing and your plant is still plenty healthy enough to recover and keep going.

How were the roots looking when you repotted it?

You can definitely wait a few weeks before watering. In the winter months while the plant is not growing, you might only water sparingly. Being a Melocactus, however, they do like a bit more water than most. (Other cacti I would say don't water at all.)

When in summer and the plant is growing, it will appreciate a good drenching, which is why the drainage hole is so important. You want the whole root system to get a good soaking and then let it dry and then another good soaking. When you have no hole, it is nearly impossible to keep from either not enough or too much water.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Hi Ed,
I would also suggest not to water before the wound gets dried. Its good to see that the rot didn't get a chance to spread much. Hope your plant gets well really soon :).
-Mughal
Cactus Ed

Post by Cactus Ed »

Daiv- When I repotted, the roots were about 1 1/2 inches long; but I was concerned because they were pretty thin. Hopefully in time the system will strengthen...?
clemons

Post by clemons »

what i,d do when replanting a cactus with little roots is mix some root hormone in with the fresh mix..mine have responed well with this treatment even large cactus with no roots..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..