Grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cactusplantqueen

Grafting

Post by cactusplantqueen »

Hi people.

how do you graft? what cacti are easy grafters and what are easy graft stock? my Myrtillocactus took me ages to find and i dont think i'll be able to find enough is there a way for me to make it offset? its going to be my first time so i dont want it all rotting on me :roll:

thanks
iann

Post by iann »

Chop the top off and root it down. The stump should produce offsets. Best to do it in spring. Or grow from seed, its a pretty fast species.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You might find this article helpful, written by one of our own:

http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article7.php

If you want fast propogating stock, try Opuntia compressa.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactusplantqueen

thanks for the article, really useful but i have a question, is the stock they used in that perminent or will they regraft later? is the stock a succulent or a cacti and could you graft a cacti then ungraft it and root it when its big enough if its the type of cacti you can grow on its roots, thanks
Loph

Post by Loph »

cannot grow cacti to non-cacti plants.

you should be able to de graft after a while and root it, but some species are harder than others. you wont get a nice tap root either, but you will get a nice big root mat (hopefully!).

Myrtles are my favourite stock, hands down. but you should know this specie enjoys HOT BRIGHT conditions. it will grow 10 fold if put in some full blazing sun and given a decent drink once or twice a week. i noticed in a colder climate i lived in (canada) it grew amazingly slower.

you may want to look into trichcereus stocks, they grew faster for me in canada....but maybe your conditions are fine...?
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
cactusplantqueen

i live in sw england so it can get cold here in winter but in summer its quite hot (if not wet :P )