Gymno' Seeds

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Murph

Gymno' Seeds

Post by Murph »

My G.stenopleurum's flowers are slowly coming to an end. I have other cacti which flower every year, but have never produced seeds. I am guessing that this is because i don't have 2 of the same cacti, and they can't self-pollinate. I have always tried the old paintbrush-pollination trick, without success. Can anyone tell me whether these flowers wil produce seeds, or is it still too early to tell whether they will turn into seed pods? Here is a pic of the supposed seed pods...

Weird - a Euphorbia is not a cactus, yet a Pereskia is.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Murph,

It is difficult to tell. If the plant is self fertile, there is a chance and of course you have more than one Gymnocalycium plant so there is a possibility that they will hybridise anyway.

There is very little written about what plants are self fertile and which need two of the same genus etc. to set seed. Some plants particularly the Euphorbias not only need two plants, but one must be a male and the other a female to have successful pollination.

Cheers,
John
Murph

Post by Murph »

Thanks John. I guess i'll just wait a few weeks to see if any seed pods develop.
Weird - a Euphorbia is not a cactus, yet a Pereskia is.