Dragon fruit

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
SupFellas

Post by SupFellas »

Wow! I thought the one that I bought was expensive at about 2 dollars. If you guys live in any reasonably large city and are thinking of trying this then you should do yourself a favor and go to one of the little chinese stores in your area. Even in the US they will probably only run you 2-3 dollars if you get it from an asian market. If they don't have any ask if they can order it. My local chinese store is happy to special order products for me when I ask. They have gotten me all sorts of exotic beers, herbs and spices that you just can't find ANYWHERE else here. btw they don't taste very good at all. the only reason I bought another one is i'm hoping to grow some and sell them back to local markets :lol:

TLDR; Go to the asian market for these.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I hope they grow well for you!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
navy

about dragon fruit

Post by navy »

Hi Christer,
I have some experience of growing dragon fruit, it may be helpful for you.

Everyone in my family likes dragon fruits.For the reason that they are very expensive, even in asian markets, specialy in Little Saigon, CA, so we grow them and get about hundreds of them very year. I haven't seen or heard anyone growed dragon fruits by seeds but by cutting. It is very easy to grow by cutting; however, if the cutting is too short and from the top of branches, it will take a long time to get expanded or to get fruits. We can grow in a big pot or put down to the ground, sand or clay, it doesn't matter. They need a strong trelis, water regularly, and fertilizers. Then they grow extremely fast. We can get fruits after a year putting down in the ground, trim the top of every branch as stimulating to produce more fruits. Flowers grow in a week, bloom in about 2 days the start looking like dry or dying. The larger flower, the bigger fruit. It takes about more than 2 months for fruits turn to ripe. We just cut them when seeing their skins get a little "sun burned" or a little broken, do not eat them right after cutting for the taste would be sour or tasteless. Fruits are still good after a week cutting.

Then we peel their skin off, slice, spray a little, little sugar, put into fridge in a day then yum!!!
globetrottersara

Post by globetrottersara »

I had Pitajaya in Ecuador (basically identical inside, yellow on the outside). It's really good and can be eaten simply with a little spoon (seeds included). it's sweet and a bit like a kiwi, lot's of water...

Never had this red one, though I think they probably taste about the same. Would love to try someday :)