Dragon fruit

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
Christer Johansson

Dragon fruit

Post by Christer Johansson »

Hello.

Anyone tasted dragon fruit? What do you think it taste?

/Christer
Christer Johansson

BTW, how do you clean the seeds from this fruits? :?
/Christer
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Christer, I havent tried that one yet but I imagine its very simular to cereus fruits,very good especialy chilled =P~
I have cleaned the seed on this type of fruit by gently squishing the pulp into paper towels then seperating the seeds by hand.
Havent tried the blender trick yet but some people recomend it
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Christer Johansson

The seeds are really slimy and hard to get hold of :?
/Christer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I have and there is no need to clean the seeds out. While they are a little crunchy, they are perfectly edible. The skin of the fruit I found to be very tough and so just eat the inside of it.

How to describe the flavor? Very mild. Slightly sweet, a bit sour. Has the consistency similar to a Kiwi.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Dragon fruit is being imported here in large quantities and i have seen it for sale in markets, and even in suburban supermarkets. I havent tried it yet but i have been told that it is very good. It is imported from South East Asian countries and is now being grown commercially in Queensland for distribution in the Australian market. It is the fruit of a species of hylocereus, mabey the same as is commonly used as a grafting stock?
Here is a link i found about the new dragon fruit industry in Australia:

http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/newslett/ncn11163.htm
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Is that fruit from your plant Christer?
How long did it take to ripen and turn red?

Wondering how much longer i must wait for mine to ripen :D
Lachy

Post by Lachy »

Lewis_cacti wrote:Dragon fruit is being imported here in large quantities and i have seen it for sale in markets, and even in suburban supermarkets.
Really? I've wanted to try growing dragonfruit from seed for a while, however a local source of seeds had until now eluded me. I wonder if the local greengrocer can get these in...?
Christer Johansson

CoronaCactus wrote:Is that fruit from your plant Christer?
How long did it take to ripen and turn red?

Wondering how much longer i must wait for mine to ripen :D
No, it's not from my own plant, it's from the market :)
Daiv maybe know how long it take to ripen? :-k
/Christer
Christer Johansson

daiv wrote:I have and there is no need to clean the seeds out.
I was thinking of to grow them, Daiv :oops:
daiv wrote:How to describe the flavor? Very mild. Slightly sweet, a bit sour. Has the consistency similar to a Kiwi.
That's what I think too, Daiv :) Does the red once taste the same? :roll:
/Christer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think the fruit development only took a few weeks. I don't remember it taking a long time.

Ok well if you're going to grow the seeds, then yep don't eat 'em! :P
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

isnt the dragon fruit just a type of hylocereus ? the common grafting stock? or Is the yellow fruiting one a different species? If you get a piece of hylocereus you happen to have lying around will it produce any fruit? (thats what im planning to do.....)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

gah...my bad, i was thinking Harrisia, not Hylocereus. I knew the name and the fruit look awfully similar.

Yes Lewis, Hylocereus is commonly known as Dragon Fruit and is used as grafting stock.
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Its very tasty like kiwi but much sweeter. I can say that for sure and it stays fresh for quite long compared to other fruit probably because of the waxy layer.

There is one i got from Tesco! it was reduced from £2.50 to 75p so it wasnt cheap by any count. next to it are Opuntia seed from some prickly pears i got from my local market for 50p each.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Lewis_cacti wrote:
Dragon fruit is being imported here in large quantities and i have seen it for sale in markets, and even in suburban supermarkets.
Lachy wrote:
Really? I've wanted to try growing dragonfruit from seed for a while, however a local source of seeds had until now eluded me. I wonder if the local greengrocer can get these in...?
Sorry about the late response man,

Yes,thats right, i have found them at a local safeways supermarket on several occasions. Right alongside the bananas! But they were not cheap, not at all, at $22 a kilo i had to give them a miss. :( they were Aussie grown, in Queensland.
Your local greengrocer can probably get them in, mine has them on occasions, alongside other exotic/unusual cuisine such as custard apples, tamarillos, mangosteens,lychees, guavas, rambutans etc :P