Trichocereus ?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Dominique

Trichocereus ?

Post by Dominique »

Hello, everyone,
I could not resist the beauty of this plant though there was no label and the seller could not give me any information. Since it was only 2 euros, I did not hesitate. The plant is about 5cm (2 inches) high, diameter : 5cm. Is it a trichocereus ? Thank you for your help

Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Dominique,

You seem to have got people thinking with this one. When I first saw it I thought it could be a very young Carnegia gigantea, but looking at it I do not think the ribs are pronounced enough. Mind you there is time for them to develop yet.

I should start getting the hole cut in the ceiling.

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you, John. Yes, the plant is still small and it is probably too early to be sure of the name. I just searched on the net and if it is carnegieae gigantea, it grows up to... 50 feet :D But I still have time to cut the hole in the roof since they say it grows slowly :wink:
Dominique
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Dominique,

Tell your grandchildren to start to think about the hole. Slow hardly begins to describe this plant.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Better make that "GreatGrandchilden" :|
Mike

Post by Mike »

templegatejohn wrote:
When I first saw it I thought it could be a very young Carnegia gigantea, but looking at it I do not think the ribs are pronounced enough. John
Hi, here is a pic of a 2-3" Carnegia, and as John says the ribs are more pronounced. The spines look right tho, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is waiting for something to happen with my C. gigantea I picked up a 1 foot specimen at Grigsby's a couple years ago and it hasn't changed. I notcied that Grigsby says this about them. "They don't grow as slowly as you'd think." I was thinking it was just me.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you for the picture of your plant, Mike. The ribs are indeed more pronounced but my plant is very close to yours. I think it is better that I wait a little longer to be sure of the ID.

Buck, I do not have grandchildren. Well, not yet. But I'll leave them a note :wink:
Dominique
seriouscereus

saguaro

Post by seriouscereus »

I bought a packet of mixed cactus seeds when we first moved down here almost 8 years ago and planted them. Only 2 of the 30 or so that came up are still with me, and they are lemaireocereus(sp?) thurberi and the other is a saguaro- it is almost 8 years old and barely 6 inches tall, and this has been under ideal conditions. :o Seriouscereus