rainforest greenhouse?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
cactusplantqueen

rainforest greenhouse?

Post by cactusplantqueen »

I'm interested in turning my greenhouse into a rainforest, with epiphytic cacti, bromeliads and carnivorous plants, i know the carnivores dont live in rainforsets mainly but i like them so tough! just one question, would i be able to grow my cacti in it?
hablu

Post by hablu »

I think so. You live in the UK, so humidity can't get much higher than it already is.
Btw. for about 10 years I have a little pond in my greenhouse; never noticed that I lost any cactus because of that.
Harry
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have used mine to overwinter some sensitive species of cacti temporarily over the years.
Like Harry, I have a pond inside and it stays very humid all the time,great for orchids, brom's,epi's and I would think carnivors as well.
Not sure how the true desert cac's would like it over the long run,but I havent tried growing them in there more than two months.
As long as you make sure to let the soil dry out I think they should be fine.
Are you going to leave them in there all the time?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
cactusplantqueen

Post by cactusplantqueen »

i would probably boot them out in summer, this is the most dangerous time for cuttings you see so i need as much space as possible ready for the symptoms of propagationfever to start! i was thinking of growing the epis and carnivores in the upper parts of the greenhouse furthest back to one side, only 10 or 20, so the humidity with be directed there, the only cacti i would grow close to them would be epis etc, lithops would be the furthest away but still near a warm spot, i suppose it would be no different than when i damp the surfaces down to keepplants cool, i havent lost a cacti yet cause of that and i am strict with my watering, only watering when the soil is dry, or less (lithops etc) i will take a photo when my greenhouse is finished, i've still got to move my cacti into it cause my brother hasnt been able to put up the rest of the permanent staging!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well, a lot of them will be able to tolerate those conditions -with proper watering or lack of watering, while there are those that won't. I say if that is the environment you want, find the plants that fit.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti