A very warty echeveria

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

A very warty echeveria

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I got this in spring 2004 and it has probably quadrupled in size.
1. I wasn't sure what species - any ideas??
2. I also don't know why it has the warts - always has, which is why we got it. Below is a pic from June this year first, and then one today - as you can see it has grown (14" across) and lots more warty.
3. I am not sure I want to, but can you peel a leaf off of an echeveria and grow a new one? I have done this small leafs of sedum, pachyphytum, graptopetalum etc, but not yet successful with kalanchoe, and haven't tried echeveria or leaves this big.
Thanks Mike

Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

Nice growing. There are a number of names for these hybrids. We are using Echeveria gibbiflora cv. Paul Bunyan. I'm pretty sure that E. gibbiflora part is correct, but the hybrid name is a best guess. It looks to me like the original hybrid may have been Carunculata for the carbuncles on the tops of the leaves. I've heard a bunch of names depending on how profuse the carbuncles are. Your pictures are very revealing, young plants tend to have less of the formations than older ones.

Leaf propagation has not worked for us on echeverias in general. The method we're using is to cut the head off leaving one rank or a part of one rank of leaves on the mother stalk. The cut off head will root fairly easliy and you get the mother stalk trying to make up for the loss by proliferating pups at the top and sometimes all up the stalk.

That said, we've never tried it with this plant that almost never grows multiple heads. We decided earlier today that tomorrow is the day to cut one and see what happens. My opinion is that the cut head will be a better potted plant because it won't have the ungainly long bare stalk, so there will be no loss if it doesn't work.

Will let you know, and if I remember, will take some pics.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

I have always known the plant as Echeveria gibbiflora var. carunculata.

I have grown Echeveria from a single leaf, but they are not always 100% successful. Agavoides is relatively easy this way, but it does have particularly succulent leaves.

The leaf needs to be turgid, it is no good taking one of the bottom leaves, but I always try to get one that is just about adult size, if that makes sense. The bottom leaves will tend to wither before they have struck properly.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks guys,

According to one site,
"One form of Echeveria gibbifora has caruncles (raised, textured areas on leaves, often in opposing colors), and this single existing form with caruncles has formed the foundation of all existing hybrids that have the same trait of the carunculated leaves. Many of the Echeverias that form larger rosettes (10” or more) have also descended from Echeveria gibbiflora."

So it could be either.

Mike
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

Following are pics of my E. carunculata after cutting. The cutting is sitting on dry soil (for 1 week or so), in shade. It will get watered every 9 days after the dry period. I expect roots within 3 weeks.

Mom will get regular watering and hopefully produce little pups all around the top.

Remember, this is Southern California, you are AZ. Temperature today, Nov. 1 is 93 deg F., tomorrow 75 deg or so, lows temps between 54 to 58 deg F.

Sorry John.

Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Buck,

Hmm, well you can't have everything. I bet you would love to go tobogganing and have a good snowball fight? Take the dog out in rain and sleet, so that you both come back like wet dish cloths and are not allowed into the house until you have both dried off.

If you are going to write back to say you haven't got a dog, all I can say is you are a man of excellent judgement.

Cheers,
John

Post by Guest »

Hi guys,

John, I think I can say for both Buck and me that we are awfully envious. :lol: What you need is a little dog, or 3 like I have, that get all their exercise running around the house protecting you from squirrels.

By the way, Buck, i am in LA.

Mike
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

John's right, no dog. Traded my parka (Oregon) for sandals about 18 years ago.

Mike, you have my phone number, yes? no?
Buck Hemenway

Post by Guest »

Hi Buck,

Don[t think I have it. We may be in Corona this weekend if you have visitors to your nursery.

Mike
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike

I've sent an e-mail to you. In case you can't retrieve it our phone number is (951) 360-8802. Give us a call.

Buck
Buck Hemenway