Winding Down for Winter

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
templegatejohn

Winding Down for Winter

Post by templegatejohn »

We have had the best of the weather in England now and the weather forecasters are predicting the worst winter since 1966. Mind you I wouldn't mind that job, it's the only one I know where you get paid whether you get it right or wrong.

Joking apart, I am well into my preparations for the winter rest. I finished watering all of my cacti at the beginning of October, aiming to have them totally dry by mid November. If one or two show signs of shrivelling through the winter I will give them a little water round the edge of the pot, but not enough to bring them into growth. I personally have found Parodias tend to 'ask' for a little moisture. In general I will treat each plant individually rather than going gung ho and giving them all a little water 'to be on the safe side.' I aim to do the first general watering about the middle of March, 2006, depending on the weather.

90% of my Lithops have flowered so they will definitely not get any more water until April. However the Conophytums are flowering profusely and can continue to be watered for some time yet. The Haworthias are still in growth, but will probably get their last watering in the next week or so.

Most of the other succulents will also be kept dry, through the winter. One or two of the Stapeliads have a tendency to shrivel and again depending on the weather may get a dribble of water round the edge of the pot.

I have already sent off for hard copy seed catalogues and nursery plant lists from companies who do not have the internet facilities. I have also spent a small fortune on books: Desmond Cole's latest Lithops book plus Steve Hammer's Lithops book and Steve Hammer's latest Conophytum book 'Dumpling and his Wife.' I also managed to buy a signed copy of John Pilbeam's Haworthia book, which is now out of print and much sought after.

I have bought half a truckload of new labels and promised myself I will re-label each plant. What fun trying to second guess the taxonomists.

I will take the dog for his last walk of the year next week. Wading through snow with a large wet animal is not much fun. He doesn't want to go, so why should I.

Who says winter is a quiet time for the Cactophile. Mind you I shall probably be looking at more photographs than actual plants. I shall even try and catch up on some conversation with my better half. I call her 'my little red spider mite' (I can't get rid of her), and she frequently calls me ->+*@-<**. I really do love her to bits, and she is something of a 'cactus widow' a phrase a friend of mine is apt to use. She does put up with a lot, so she deserves the best, so much so, that I might even treat her to a nice cactus for Christmas, or if I'm feeling really generous, a new propagator, even the deposit on a new greenhouse, (as long as she promises to keep up the payments), automatic air vents, louvre windows, the lot, what more could a woman ask for. I know it's a bit extravagant, but what the heck, she deserves it for putting up with me. It's sure to go down better than the set of pans and the new steam iron I got her last year. I didn't realise how heavy those irons are, until I woke up. She's about half my size, but she cheats and does it when I'm not looking.

I'd better make it a larger greenhouse, because if she ever reads this I'll be living in it. Actually, thinking about it, that doesn't sound too bad an idea.

John
vulcan

Post by vulcan »

:) aww well Templegatejohn, i am reading your article almost a year after it was posted, still makes me laugh. I hope you did not get to live in the greenhouse :lol:, on second thoughts i wouldnt mind it :lol: :lol:
be first, different, or a genius ...chances are you will make it !!!
sundanz

Re: Winding Down for Winter

Post by sundanz »

Hilarious! With us it's the other way around......I'm the cactinut and hubby puts up with it while I try to educate him with the little knowledge I have...LOL
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Nice to know I'mnot on my own then :D

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

templegatejohn wrote:I really do love her to bits, and she is something of a 'cactus widow' a phrase a friend of mine is apt to use. She does put up with a lot, so she deserves the best, so much so, that I might even treat her to a nice cactus for Christmas, or if I'm feeling really generous, a new propagator, even the deposit on a new greenhouse, (as long as she promises to keep up the payments), automatic air vents, louvre windows, the lot, what more could a woman ask for.
I know that this posting is rather old (spring of '14 now) but I had to respond as it had me rolling on the floor. I actually ALMOST fell out of my chair.

John ... you may as well buy her a nice set of tools ... so she can work on the car. snigger.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a