Simple cacti grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Loph

Post by Loph »

WHAT THE DUECE? am i really getting that "somthing" that i forgot to upload all teh pictures...HAHA....whew, guess i should really look twice at my posts.

in case i said anything stupid in any other posts i made her eto someone, sorry :shock: :lol:

pictures are up now :oops:
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I remember seeing the pictures for these. Perhaps you acidentally removed them?

Might not be a bad idea to upload them to the CactiGuide server and that way you won't have to have them hanging out in your photobucket...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
stormer88

Post by stormer88 »

Have you noticed any problems rooting the short tops you've cut from your Peresks? I'm wondering if I should cut a longer top section so that I can root it easier?
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

I have a couple of small sections of around 3cm that have rooted, just keep moist and warm. :D
Paul.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Excellent pereskiopsis tutorial. 8) I got some pereskiopsis cuttings recently and i put them in my propagator and they rooted in no time. they are starting to go rampant under artifical lights, heat mat and high humidity. Now i also have some seedlings on the go i will give this microsurgery a go soon. Thanks Loph :D
Loph

Post by Loph »

i edited the OP as i found that the high humidity on "larger scions" (not seedlings to pereskiopsis, they need high humidity!) was the reason for some grafts developing a rust growth. when i lowered humidity it almost never happened...when i raised light levels and lowered humidity (50% +/-) i have yet to see it again!

also a note on attaching them.

I used to play with a lot of various methods of attaching scion to stock and found tape the best.

pins suck cause they damage the plant and make infections easier.

weights can work but if bumped fall off and may bring the scion with it....they are to stable and risky.

super glue....works ok but i find it more time consuming and fiddly. also takes a little time for the glue to come off.

plastic (ceran wrap or microfilms). they don't breath and if moist may invite rot. tissue between the plastic and cactus would probably stop this, but i didn't try. it also needed to be taped around the stock anyway, or eventually it will unstick and sometimes pulls the scion to one side if not yet healed.

I like tape so much because it rarely unsticks, especially if wrapped around the stock. provides even pressure, ans is fast to work with. also because its thin allows air flow.

there is also another problem i found, but its more common in crests so i will post in the grafting crests thread :)

just what i found....but like everything, if you find a method that works for you, stick with it :)

EDIT: Pereskiopsis 101
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

I love this 'How to propagate Pereskiopsis'!
Particularly steps #3, #6 and #7! :lol:

When I first had my Pereskiopsis growing, I could not believe how easy they root. tiny tiny pieces. I even had individual leaves of it root but they did not have areoles so yeah they were pretty screwed from then on.
Loph

Post by Loph »

yes, that' how i do it now too. cut them into about 1" pieces and presto. when i need an ego boost from killing some expensive plants, i just get a knife and go on the roof with a tray of pereskiopsis and a drink.

living here i started with 5 cuttings, about 10cm. 3 years later i sell them by the 100's and 1000 lots and use god knows how many. thank god they dont set seed or we may have the new morning glory :shock:
cactuslover911

cheers loph

Post by cactuslover911 »

thanks loph!

seeing though i am new to growing cactus i find it very relaxing and want to start grafting my own in stead of buying those awful looking grafted cactus from all the plant shops near me!

cheers again cactuslover911! :)
CACTUSLOVER OUT YO!!!!!
apacholek10

Post by apacholek10 »

What is the name of the cactus grafting stock at the beginning? I have never seen anything like it, so it is new to me!
Anthony
sluefoot

Simple cacti grafting

Post by sluefoot »

This is a great thread, with a lot of information, and links to other great sites. I have not read and studied them all, and the answer to my questions may be obvious to everyone but me.

I have taken a part of Loph's post, and added a bit so (I hope), I can ask questions better. Here is his sketch, with the things I am having trouble understanding.

Is it possible that both of the areas I shaded green, are both the vascular ring(s)? It looks to me as if drawing #3 would be the most desired position for the scion, and yet, it has an X under it.

I have never grafted anything in my life, and am easily confused to begin with. :shock:

Thank you,
John
TimN

Post by TimN »

Close, but no cigar...

The arrow points to the vascular ring. It separates the two broad rings.

This image could be either the stock or the scion. When you cut a cactus open it might make more sense visually. It is also not necessarily a ring. It is a series of dots in a ring shape.

I don't have any pictures, perhaps someone else does that will illustrate this more clearly.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
sluefoot

Simple cacti grafting

Post by sluefoot »

Out of all the possible choices, I overlooked the one thing that is so obvious now? Okay. I was never in any of the talented or gifted classes in school. I got nowhere to go but up.

Thank you very much,
John
TimN

Post by TimN »

Glad to help! It's much more obvious when you see a cut cactus. One of Kadas images shows the vascular ring as a light ring.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
choiko

Re: Simple cacti grafting

Post by choiko »

wow thanks lop for the post
cause it was a detailed post
keep it up.. ^_^
The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them, combat knife my fav weapon.
Benjamin Jowett