Mealy Bugs

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mjazz

Mealy Bugs

Post by mjazz »

Mealy Bugs

Has anyone found a sure fire 'cure' for mealy bugs? Please don't say alcohol because I've tried that and they always come back, plus I have too many plants now.Now I'm using Ortho Rose & Flower Spray and it seems to help somewhat. any input would be deeply appreciated. And watch out for the cacti you buy in stores- because I've seen them infected also! - Dave
Last edited by mjazz on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Have a look at this Mealys
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Dave,
this topic has been covered numerous times on this forum. Just take a look at the Melocactus sp. problem right under your post. I would go with a systemic insecticide that is applied with watering the plant. This will do the best job in my opinion and also will not cause any negative side effects on the plant's epidermis (skin). The systemic works by being taken up by the root system of the cactus and then being distributed throughout the plant by the plant itself. Insects feeding on the plant will then be poisoned and die, unless of course they already have developed resistance to the specific chemical in the systemic insecticide or the dosage applied was too low. Mealybugs and armored scale insects are notoriously tough insects and hard to control with most other methods.

Harald
iann

Post by iann »

I don't believe that mealies are native to the NE, so once you eradicate them from the entire collection, they won't come back until you bring them back on a cheap Home Depot rescue ;)

On the other hand, if you don't eradicate the whole lot in one go, you'll just be chasing them round your collection for ever more.
--ian
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll definitely have to purchase a systemic. A few more questions, if I may. I've never seen the mealy bugs move. Maybe because they've been bludgeoned by everything I've thrown at them (spraying with insecticide, hosing them with water outside in the summer). I assume in the young stage they are those tiny little flies and that's how they get from plant to plant. Is it safe to assume they are mealy bugs? And, do all the stores like Home Depot carry a systemic like imadacloprid,does it say systemic on the label, or do I have to go to a place that specializes in plants?(and there's a better chance the salesperson knows what you are talking about)Thanks again, I've been growing cactus for quite a while but there's still a lot to learn.
iann

Post by iann »

The tiny little flies are probably not mealies. I'd take a guess at fungus gnats. Adult male mealies can grow wings but they don't live long and they don't hang around to be seen. Young and females do not have wings. Here is a male next to a female (click for more info):

Mealies don't move much, they sit in a nice place and suck your plant, then they spin some wool and lay eggs. Ones out in the open where you can see them might already be dead if you've been spraying, but I'll bet you didn't get all the eggs and nypmhs hiding out in the crevices wrapped up in wool.
--ian
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Ive never had Mealys, and hope i never do, best of luck for your cacti Mjazz.
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

can you be sure...
after battling them with Confidor i havent seen them in awhile
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Well when i 1st found this forum i saw about mealys and etc, so i looked at my plants, but never saw and sign of them
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

you're very lucky then :wink:
i gave my entire collection a serious spraying after finding mealy/root mealy/ red spider mites/ thrips and now havent seen any of them in a while. i now spray all new aquisations as a preventative measure.
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

Thanks again for the replies. What I can't figger out is how they get to the new plants. I have too many plants to start tossing them out, and it is hard to quarantine the ones that do have them, although I do the best I can. Maybe they aren't mealy bugs at all? They are white. :?
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

:shock: male mealy bug have wings? that i did not know.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

mjazz wrote: Maybe they aren't mealy bugs at all? They are white. :?
They are fairly distinct in appearance. They look just like the one in Iann's post above. They will cluster in the crevices of your plant and under the spines in the areoles. The systemic is your best bet, but it will take time for the plant to soak it up. I recommend, treating ALL of your plants with the systemic and then manually fight them with the water hose or tweezers (whatever you prefer) until eventually they don't come back. Then you will know it is working.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti