Growing Cactus in Minnesota

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
sweetamenity

Growing Cactus in Minnesota

Post by sweetamenity »

I just found this site and I noticed some pix of cactus growing in Minnesota. That's what I'm looking for. I live in Minnesota and want to grow cold hardy cactus. Can anyone give me some specific names of cacti that are hardy here? Thanks, Sweetamenity
Love my Gardens
monrad

Post by monrad »

I just posted a couple of web sites that give good info on cold hardy cactus. It is in the General forum under Cactus in Connecticut. That will as least give you a start.

Even if a cactus is cold hardy, you need to provide a quick drying soil by putting in a raised bed, perhaps with a foot of course stone underneath to quick drain rain water. Your soil needs to drain freely by mixing course sand, granite bits (chicken grit), coir, or a fired clay product such as Turface MVP or Soil Master Red. There is a lot of good info on soil mix etc. on this site. Several of the group have outside gardens.

Have fun with it. I enjoy mine.

Mark
sweetamenity

Post by sweetamenity »

Thanks, Sweetamenity.
Love my Gardens
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

Where in MN? I live in the cities and i've got a few cacti that have proven really winter hardy. Mostly opuntias, but i've had a couple escobaria missouriensis that lasted a few years (until the rotted because i think my mom watered my garden a few too many times), and i've heard escobaria vivipara is good for minnesota too. I've got a couple more but I can't rememeber their names off the top of my head
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tom2643 wrote:Where in MN? I live in the cities and i've got a few cacti that have proven really winter hardy. Mostly opuntias, but i've had a couple escobaria missouriensis that lasted a few years (until the rotted because i think my mom watered my garden a few too many times), and i've heard escobaria vivipara is good for minnesota too. I've got a couple more but I can't rememeber their names off the top of my head
E. vivipara is not only hardy in Minnesota, but it is a native species!

Besides several Opuntia (fragilis, humifusa, etc.) and a coupld Escobaria -you can sort of get Echinocereus from high elevations in Utah/Colorado to survive -probably much better chances if you are in the south of the state. Also Cylindropuntia whipplei might last a few winters.

As I mentioned in the other post. The thing about growing "fringe" hardy species is that you might be fine for 5 years and think you've found a good one and then you get a winter like this year and that's the end of it.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti