Parrots

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
parrotsheaven

Parrots

Post by parrotsheaven »

CV you asked so here they are :D

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image

Some of these I have to have a liscense to keep as they are protected species.

Cheers
Betty
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Nice birds Betty. :D
I have an aviary with finches..aussie grassfinches and african waxbills.
birds and cacti are a good hobby-combination.
(...yes, i'll admit i am growing cacti in the aviary :oops: )
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

Lewis_cacti wrote:Nice birds Betty. :D
I have an aviary with finches..aussie grassfinches and african waxbills.
birds and cacti are a good hobby-combination.
(...yes, i'll admit i am growing cacti in the aviary :oops: )
Lewis I never thought of doing that besides the parrots would have chewed them to bits :lol:
I use to have finches gouldians, fires, goldfinch, cordon bleu(spelling) stars and some others can't remember their names.

Cactus amd birds do go well together. My friends who have huge cactus gardens have hundreds of birds and so do a few others in this area but not on the scale of my friends. I will have to do a post on their garden for you as I have taken hundreds of Photos of it.

Betty
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

finches are non-destructive to plants so i'm growing some 'bird-friendly' types in aviary; hylocereus, epiphyllum anguiler, less spiky echinopsis and schumbergera.along with some native shrubs such as leptospermums, callistemons and also a thornless climbing rose.
i have gouldians, stars, orange breasts, fires(x many) and double bars. the only thing breeding are the fire finches.

i'd love to see some pics of these cacti+bird gardens! :P
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

Ok Lewis will do so shortly :wink:

BTW my finches didn't breed much either :( Apparently they don't like to have too many species in one cage, or so I was told. The Gouldians were my favourite and they did breed a couple of times. I found with them I had trouble with air sac mites but I put some of those silver fish thingys you hang in wardrobes and it keeps them away. A breeder told me this trick. I made a little wire cage our of bird wire to put around it.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Air sac mite is what decimated the gouldian's population in the wild, hence why they are an endangered species (+ many other factors)..used to be widely transmitted in aviary stock via the common house sparrow. Now that indian mynas have taken over and decimated the sparrow population in my area (seriously..they are very rare) and now the gouldians are fine. used to combat the air sac with low strength mortine from memory (and yes..those pest strips as well)
yes finches breed best with minimal competition.

in constrast to their endangered species status in the wild..yes..gouldians are very eager to breed in captivity...i know all about that.... we average 14 young annually from one pair. (they would have more..but its best to give them a rest). :wink:
peter

Post by peter »

Hi parrotsheaven
Beautiful looking birds! I guess some of them are native to Australia?

Best regards
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

peter wrote:Hi parrotsheaven
Beautiful looking birds! I guess some of them are native to Australia?
Best regards
Thanks Peter

You are right some are native to Australia. The ones in pics 1,2,3,4,5,9,10,11,12,15,16,17

It is illegal to keep the ones in pics 1,2,3,12 without a liscense. Many native birds are becoming rarer in their native habitat.

The cockatiels are very common all over the world now and they have been bred to produce many colours. They make great pets :D

The Kakariki is native to New Zealand pics 13 and 14 and the Alexandrines are an Asiatic bird.

Betty
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

raaarh...polywannacracker :D

Nice birds parrtosheaven.
Are they noisey?
Trouble sleeping at night?

Accross the street from one of my favorite local nurseries, there are a bunch of parrots and they can get pretty loud and rowdy.
parrotsheaven

Post by parrotsheaven »

Only noisy in the morning like now :lol:

The do not wake me up. I guess I am use to them :wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Wow great collection of birds I love them all. I have a pair of parakeets and finches outside in some cages.

Mark