Cacti Guides' Lophophora Guide

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
DaveW

Re: Cacti Guides' Lophophora Guide

Post by DaveW »

Can't remember when I got it, probably five years old.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi ipdown, I have no idea but yours might be a L.williamsii. Check it out.
I have such a plant, not grafted, and I never give it any water from October to March. Thus I Have no problems with overwaterings.
During summer mine resides on the balcony in half shade and takes whatever the rain will bring (without a saucer, of course! and in pure pumice).
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi DaveW, how are you?
Were YOU five years old, when you got that beautiful button, or was IT that old? :oops:
... I am no native speaker, you know... ](*,)
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The plant was five years old, I am just in my second childhood at 80!
ipdown

Post by ipdown »

Yesterday I noticed it got a fruit! :D
It means I will have seeds from it, right?
lophophora_fruit_1k.jpg
lophophora_fruit_1k.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 11005 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You will get pure seeds as long as you have no other Lophophora species that have outcrossed with it and it is self fertile. I never save my Lophophora seeds since I have most of the supposed different species growing together, therefore I would probably finish up with random hybrids if set.
ipdown

Post by ipdown »

DaveW wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 am You will get pure seeds as long as you have no other Lophophora species that have outcrossed with it and it is self fertile. I never save my Lophophora seeds since I have most of the supposed different species growing together, therefore I would probably finish up with random hybrids if set.
This is the only mature specimen I have. I have also some 1 year old seedlings I grow from random seeds, but they are not even here, and are still so tiny that they are out of question
widea

Post by widea »

I am not sure this a Lophophora williamsii, it looks a bit different doesn't it?
Lophophora.jpg
Lophophora.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 10445 times
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi everybody,
great pictures! Since last fall, I have two L. williamsii. The last years, my older (Dr.Berg 03) flowered rarely. Late last year I got another one (Mex 54) that looked as if it would flower a lot. So I placed them next to each other, firstly indoors, then outdoors.
You know what? Since February (when they are usually dormant!) the two flower & bloom alternatingly. As if each one wanted to please the other one. The day before yesterday, they even flowered "stereo". :P

Only one question: I often see such plants clustering and clumping, while mine stay "solitaires".
Is that normal? Is there something I could do better?

Also I have read that L.w. grow taproots. Thus I planted my old one in deep taproot-pot some years ago. The new one has a normal pot. What do you think about translanting into a deep pot?

Thanks
Nachtkrabb

Older L. wiliamsii Dr. Berg 03
old-Loph williamsii-DrBerg 03.jpg
old-Loph williamsii-DrBerg 03.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
Newer L. williamsii Mex 54
new-Loph williamsii-Mex 54.jpg
new-Loph williamsii-Mex 54.jpg (119.95 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Cactimaniac

Post by Cactimaniac »

widea wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:15 pm I am not sure this a Lophophora williamsii, it looks a bit different doesn't it?
Lophophora.jpg
Maybe late answer but thats not williamsii. My guess lophophora Fricii.
Sweden, Stockholm
Cactimaniac

Post by Cactimaniac »

nachtkrabb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:23 pm Hi everybody,
great pictures! Since last fall, I have two L. williamsii. The last years, my older (Dr.Berg 03) flowered rarely. Late last year I got another one (Mex 54) that looked as if it would flower a lot. So I placed them next to each other, firstly indoors, then outdoors.
You know what? Since February (when they are usually dormant!) the two flower & bloom alternatingly. As if each one wanted to please the other one. The day before yesterday, they even flowered "stereo". :P

Only one question: I often see such plants clustering and clumping, while mine stay "solitaires".
Is that normal? Is there something I could do better?

Also I have read that L.w. grow taproots. Thus I planted my old one in deep taproot-pot some years ago. The new one has a normal pot. What do you think about translanting into a deep pot?

Thanks
Nachtkrabb

Older L. wiliamsii Dr. Berg 03
old-Loph williamsii-DrBerg 03.jpg

Newer L. williamsii Mex 54
new-Loph williamsii-Mex 54.jpg
Some varities cluster more than other. With age im sure yours will also form clusters. Its a good idea to transplant them in a deep pot.
Sweden, Stockholm
elomeno

Post by elomeno »

Is there such a thing as a comprehensive Lophophora Guide?

I need to learn all the basics. Growing from seed. What pot to use. What kind of soil. Sun. Heat. ect. It would be great if this was all in one place. Is there such a resource?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

elomeno wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:56 pm Is there such a thing as a comprehensive Lophophora Guide?

I need to learn all the basics. Growing from seed. What pot to use. What kind of soil. Sun. Heat. ect. It would be great if this was all in one place. Is there such a resource?
It would help if you gave your location and what you have for growing space, etc. Do you have any experience growing cacti at all? See here: viewtopic.php?t=43830
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
elomeno

Post by elomeno »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:40 pm
elomeno wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:56 pm Is there such a thing as a comprehensive Lophophora Guide?

It would help if you gave your location and what you have for growing space, etc. Do you have any experience growing cacti at all? See here: viewtopic.php?t=43830

Thanks Jerry. I am in Massachusetts.

I wouldn't say that I have any experience growing cactus, with the caveat that I did, apparently, successfully grow a cactus when I was a young boy. I simply put some cactus seeds in potting soil and it grew. It actually grew two different types of cacti. I still have them to this day and they've grown to a considerable size. Estimating them to be approximately 30 years old at this point. The reason I say that I don't have any experience growing cacti is because I never did anything special to grow these cacti. I just put them in the sun and water them once a week.

I took a closer look at one and I think it's got a health problem actually. Some areas are turning grey. I presume this is due to overwatering and not having the correct soil. It looks like it's just in regular potting soil. It should probably be repotted and I should probably replace the soil with a more "cactus friendly" soil. Add some stones and sand perhaps. Is there a ready-made cactus soil that would be recommended?

I'm not sure what type of cacti they are, but I presume that it is a user-friendly variety to grow because they grew very easily.

I assume there is probably much more advanced knowledge that I'd need to gain to grow different varieties of cacti such as Lophorphora. I am wondering about what type of soil I'd need. I am also wondering what type of pot would be required once they become full grown. (Height and internal width?) I was playing around with the idea of growing from seed. I read about it a little bit, and it sounds like a somewhat hit or miss process that is a bit involved. Also curious if there is a particular type of fertlizer that they'd like and how often to apply it. Also not sure what the watering schedule should be, so I don't over or under water.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Elomeno,
did you ever get a reaction on your last post? Did you ever try to get your cacti named in the naming thread (https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3)? With the name you can find out, what your cacti would like to get. But if they are 30years old, you will know, although you possibly can't tell.
Do you know that a lot of older cacti get a tough, greyish, "cork"-type skin, wich is just a healthy way of aging?
If you have any further questions, just post some pictures.
There will be quite some threads about sowing & caring, too.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.