Medium to high humidity selections?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Dave

Medium to high humidity selections?

Post by Dave »

I am building a paludarium (aquarium that is half full with a land area above the water) I have most of the land area set for carnivious plants grown in sphagnum moss/sand. I was planing or at least considering having a different section set up for cactus/succulents. The substrate will not be watered as much as the sphagnum but the plants will of course be subjected to humidity with all the water near them.

What cactus/succulents would do best in a humidity environment and what would be the best general substrate?
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

I think you will have trouble finding any cacti or succulents that will like such a humid environment, perhaps with the exception of some of the epiphites, but these will probably be too large for what you want. There may be one or two but I cannot think of anything off the cuff.

Perhaps some of the smaller Bromiliads would do the trick.

Hope you have some success.
John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'd go with John on that one. Better to have your cacti/succulents in a seperate display. Those worlds are too different to combine.

Incidentally, how large is the tank?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Dave

Post by Dave »

It is a 90 gallon tall. I had been told from a friend that succulents would rot under the humididty. Wanted to see what you cactus enthusiasts thought. The conditions are ideal for carnivious plants, I would like to have a small different genre of plants just for the visual effect.

Thanks

Dave
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

As I said Bromiliads would be ideal if you can get them small enough and small ferns would absolutely love it in there.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I concur with John. You should also be able to grow some terrestrial Orchids such as Paphiopedilum.

Daiv
Dave

Post by Dave »

I did a search for dwarf terrestrial orchids. Some sound like the humidity would not be great but this species is a raiforest plant and small, no taller than 5". I want to keep all plants small so the ovarall space looks big.

Koellensteinia graminea

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

If you can, share a photo of your project. It may not be about cacti, but it sounds interesting none-the-less.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I will do that. It may be a while as Christmas is fast approaching and all non-Christmas budgets get vetoed around this time of year.